Chapter 10|| "Counting tiles."

I know its been long when it doesn't even turn up in my recent documents xD

"The broken clock is a comfort
It let's me sleep tonight
Maybe it can stop tomorrow
From stealing all my time
I am here still waiting
I still have my doubts
I am damaged at best
Like you've already figured out"

Broken, Lifehouse

One of my favourite songs! Enjoy~

Chapter 10

I watched intently as my mother's sleek fingers ran across the material, tracing every fold and mimicking every pleat with her hands. I gulped nervously when she stopped and turned to me. Its verdict time. Finally.

"Jennifer..." she trailed off. All hope went crashing down after hearing her tone.

The tone of disappointment.

"Save it," I said through gritted teeth.

Anger flashed in her eyes like lightning.

"You see this?" She pointed to a spot in the dress where the stitching was loose. "And this?" She showed another place where the pleat was irregular.

"I'm not a professional, this is my first work!" I defended.

"Yes and I think the idea is great but you're proposing here to sell this dress under my label which I can't."

"I was hoping you'd improvise it..." my throat constricted, not allowing the rest of the words to come through.

"I don't have the time, Jennifer. Please, understand my situation. I'm sorry."

I searched her face which looked so similar to mine. The same wavy locks, the same straight bridge of the nose and the same doe shaped eyes. But our emotions were so different.

Me, choking back my tears while she stared at me with mostly indifference and a moment later, a slight touch of sympathy.

When I saw that look, that look of twisted sympathy, that's when the anger kicked in. The anger I'm infamous for.

"I don't even know why I showed it to you. I think it would have had a better audience if I'd showed it to any other label. Even a local fucking brand!" I screeched.

"Jennifer!"

"I'm done. I'm so done with you. I'm done feeling guilty about a mistake I did years back. I was punished for it, wasn't I? But you haven't forgiven me yet, have you?"

Her silence was my reply as she cast her eyes down.

"Your reputation is obviously bigger to you than anything. Even your family," I mumbled before walking out of my home, which hasn't felt like one, ever since I've come back.

~*~

Tears were streaming down my face and there were sobs escaping me. I haven't cried so much ever since the fateful day of my suspension. I was a wreck.

"Sarah?"

I closed my eyes, cursing everything on this planet.

I quickly wiped my tears and called out, "She hasn't come in yet."

Please leave, Soham. Please, leave.

"Where are you?"

I retreated further behind the counter and shouted out, "Fuck, she isn't here. Just leave."

There was a shuffling of feet and suddenly, in front of me a pair of Nike shoes cladden feet appeared.

No, no this cant be happening. Why, God, why him? Why should he see me as this wreck? He's gonna laugh at my sorry state and make me feel ten times worse, if that is even possible.