Chapter 20|| "More real."

"Cause you brought out the best of me
A part of me I'd never seen
You took my soul wiped it clean
Our love was made for movie screens"

All I want, Kodaline

Chapter 20

"Childhood lesson you'll never forget?"

"I'm pretty sure you can guess that one," I snickered, gently swaying on the swing.

Ethan was sat on the other one, his legs on either side, facing me.

"The one leading to your suspension?"

I nodded with a smile.

"Don't you love it that you can just simply laugh about some things now even though when it happened, it was the worst thing that could have happened to you?"

"Time," he simply stated.

I let a moment pass before turning towards him and placing a leg on the other side of the swing.

"Yours?"

"Uhm, it had to be when I beat up this guy because he was trash talking about my parents as a way to get at me, I just couldn't control my temper, broke his tooth and nose."

"Oh my god, I can't even think of you as a guy who'd beat up little kids—"

"Hey! I was a kid too and when I went home with bloodied knuckles, I was so scared that my parents would get mad at me but instead my dad turned to my mom and was like, 'your son is into violence, you think he is a communist like you?' and I don't know, after that I've never resorted to violence in my life for anything."

I smiled gently at him and he smiled back, swaying with me. The park was empty other than the two of us and I don't think I've ever had a more intimate date.

"Oh, other than that one time that this boy cheated on Avi, damn, I was so pissed off—"

"Avi?"

"Avishka, she is my best friend since like kindergarten, like, I don't even remember a time when I didn't know the girl," he chuckled and looked over at me but I could barely bring myself to smile back.

My heart was speeding up.

This is crazy, I chided myself.

Isn't this so similar, Jennifer.

Shut up.

"She wants to meet you, by the way and I'm pretty sure you guys would get along great."

"What if we don't?" I replied, sharply. I realized my mistake when he looked at me quizzingly and I gave him a grin to show that I was kidding.

Are you, though?

"I've been talking about you a lot, I mean I told her that there is this girl I really liked—"

He looked at me to gauge my reaction but my mind was spiralling and even though I knew we should be having a moment but my palms were getting all clammy and why is my heart still racing?

Soham. Trisha.

Ethan. Avishka.

They even rhyme, what the fuck?

Calm down, Jennifer, deep breaths.

"Okay, I lied."

"What?" I squeaked, I swear my heart stopped at that moment.

Are you in love with your best friend too?

I could already hear the words coming from his mouth.