31. The Mentor

31

“Deep breaths.” Gracie said holding my shoulders.  I did as she said and looked her in the eyes.

“I don’t know why I’m so nervous, but it’s just there’s going to be so many people!” I replied. 

Tomorrow I will be getting married and my name will no longer be Margret Anne Hemmingway, it’ll be Mrs. Margret Anne Meyers.  ‘I’m going to be a Mrs!’ I thought to myself, making my heart race, but in a strangely good way.

“It’ll be fine!” Gracie chuckled, “Everything is all ready, and your mom’s dress got back yesterday and is all altered to fit you.”

I smiled, “Thank you so much.”

“It was my pleasure.”

I suddenly felt a tug on my shirt and looked down at little Nellie.  “Yes?” I said smiling.

“So tomorrow you’re going to my big sister right?”

I chuckled, “I am.”

She gave me a toothy grin back (she had recently lost her front two) and replied, “I’m glad.”

She hugged my waist tightly and then ran off to play.

I laughed lightly, “She’s such a doll.”

“God help us all when she’s older.” Gracie mumbled.

“Well if she’s anything like you we’ll all be in for a bumpy ride.” Carson said coming into the living room.

We all laughed, “That’s true!” Gracie said, “But if she becomes an evil genius that’s all on you.  We all know I have nothing to do with that!”

“You’re the smartest woman I know though.”

“Don’t patronize me mister.” She smirked.

“It’s true.” He said hugging her, “I’d never be with a stupid woman for nineteen years.”

She chuckled, “I do believe that.”

I looked at them and looked at how they stared at each other. 

Suddenly Declan came into the room with a big smile and looked right at me and just solidified what I already knew.  He was looking at me just like his father looked at Gracie, and I knew I looked at him the way Gracie looked at Carson. 

If soul mates or true love was real, this room was full of it.

“Hey you guys!  Margret, your family is here and they’re just getting settled in.  Also your friends should be here any minute!”