24. The Mentor

24

All good things come to an end though.  We eventually got up and dressed ourselves. 

He took my hand and we made our way down stairs.  It was getting late and we knew that I’d need to go home soon.

Before we made it out the door he pulled me in and kissed me.  “I love you Margret.  No matter what happens always remember that.”

I smiled and kissed him again, “I love you too.”

“Let’s get you home before it gets too late.”

We got in his truck and I checked my phone and my mother still hadn’t called me. 
“Strange.” I whispered as we pulled onto my street.

“What?”

“My mother still hasn’t called me.  I feel like she would have by now normally.”

“Hmm…that is weird.  I wouldn’t know what is wrong.  Find out and call me though.”

“I will.”

We parked and he kissed me goodbye quickly.  I got out and ran to the door, I waved back at Declan and he drove off. 

I whipped open the door and suddenly slammed right into someone.  “Ouch!”

I heard a familiar dark chuckle, “Are you alright?”

My heart stopped and I looked right up into the eyes of Henry himself.  “I was just leaving.  I’ll see you tomorrow Margret.” He grinned walking out to him car.”

I stared after him in confusion and fright.  My whole body went numb the second I realized it was him.  I didn’t think I’d see him again so soon.

I shakily walked inside and saw my mother cleaning some things up.  “Oh!  Hello Margret! How was Lyn’s?”

I was confused for half a second, but then slowly answered, “I-it was fun.  Um…why was Henry here?”

“Oh!  He stopped by after dropping you off at Lyn’s to tell me he had done so because he felt so bad that you had to cancel your plans just because of him.” She smiled.  “That was so kind of him.” She gushed, “Tomorrow we’re all going out to dinner with him and his parents!”

“No!” I screamed.

She looked back at me in complete surprise.  “Why on Earth did you just raise your voice at me?!”

“I’m sorry mother…it’s just that Henry isn’t the perfect guy you think he is!” I had decided to tell her the truth.  She’s my mother; she must have some level of protection for me.  “Earlier today he lied!  He tried to rape me!  He almost did if it weren’t for…Lyn coming to save me.” I lied a little.