13. The Mentor

13

When Henry dropped me off he turned to face me, “Listen, I suggest not telling Declan about any of this.  I mean he probably warned you about me and you still went along.  That won’t look good.” He smirked evilly at me.

I nodded without saying a word and quickly exited the vehicle.

I ran upstairs and sat on my bed. 

One thing that Henry didn’t realize about me was that I don’t lie.  That was his own fault.  While lying in bed other thoughts crept in on top of what tomorrow would ensue.  I remembered what those girls had said earlier when they were talking about their friend.  How guys get disinterested.  I was scared.  The thought of Declan becoming disinterested hurt, but I didn’t want to give up my own morals for the sake of keeping a boy.  My head was spinning and it took me hours to finally fall asleep.

The next morning I woke up with the idea of crossing that bridge when we came to it.  And so I got ready and was driven to school and walked right up to Declan. 

“Are you okay Maggie?” He asked.

“Henry kissed me.  He attacked me in his car and said I shouldn’t tell you, but I figured I can’t not tell you and it wasn’t my fault.” I shrugged. 

All I saw was the realization flitter over Declan’s face.  It felt like time stopped for a moment.  Declan was angry.  Angry beyond all words.

“Where does Henry live?” He asked quietly.

“I don’t know.” I replied.

He suddenly turned and hit the locker behind him with full force and everyone around us turned and looked.  He just stomped away without a word leaving me in the hallway.

I was so worried at what he might do.

“What just happened?” Chelsea asked walking up behind me.  I stiffened. 

“Oh…uh…Declan just got angry about something.”

“Yeah I could see, but I’ve never seen him that angry.”

“Yes, well, I just hope he doesn’t do anything too rash.”

The bell suddenly rang and we both went to class.  The entire day went by and I never once saw Declan.  I had no idea where he disappeared to and during every break I tried calling him, but it just went straight to voicemail.  At the end of the day my mother suddenly called me.

“Hello?”

“Margret, I’m not going to be able to take you home, so can you please ask your friend Lyn to?”

“I guess.  What if she can’t?”

“Then I suppose I’ll come get you.”