32. The Mentor [END]

32

I quickly stood up and turned around to face her. 

“Hello Margret.” She looked like she was about to cry and she just kept staring at me. “You look absolutely stunning.” She practically whispered and covered her mouth.  This time a tear did slip down her cheek. “Is that my dress?”

I nodded.

“It looks better on your than it did me.” She said with a humorless chuckle. She took a step forward, “I uh…saw the invitation you left on your James’ grave, and I decided to come.  I know I may not be invited, but I thought I just wanted to see you…and I…”

I quickly ran up to her, cutting her off and gave her a huge hug.  “I can’t believe you came.” I said, with tears welling up.

She hesitated and then warmly hugged me back.  “How could I miss my only daughter’s wedding?” She reached down and lifted my face to look at her, “Margret, I am so sorry.  These past months I’ve been doing a lot of thinking and reflecting, and I have to tell you I was completely wrong. I came here to tell you that today, because I figured afterwards would be too late, but Margret…I love you.  You are and always will be my little girl.” She stroked my hair.

I suddenly didn’t care about anything she had done or said to me before.  Until she actually showed up I didn’t realize how much I really missed her and wanted her to be there.

“I wanted to tell you something too.” I said standing up and taking her hands.

She looked at me, waiting for what was to come.

“I forgive you mom.”

Suddenly her eyes filled with tears and she broke down.  “I really don’t deserve it.  I was so cruel to you, and to Declan.  And to his wonderful parents!”

“It’s okay mom, no one is holding a grudge.” I smiled, “And what’s great about weddings is that they’re a new beginning.”

She smiled back at me, “Your father would be so proud of you.”

“Thank you.  Um…this is a little unorthodox, but would you like to help dad walk me down the isle?” I asked.

She looked surprised by the request, but quickly brightened up, “Of course I would!”

“Oh and you look very nice.” I said motioning to her pretty blue dress and updid hair.

“Well, I was going to wedding.” She shrugged, “It’d be completely improper for me to look bad.” She winked.

I chuckled, “Well then we’re all set!”

I was beaming with happiness.  Everything was falling so well into place.   

After a few minutes there was a knock at the door.  “Come in!” I called.