14. The Mentor

14

We talked with Sasha and Liam for a while and she was very pleasant the entire time.  Something about her rubbed me the wrong way though.  I know when my mother is faking niceness and that was definitely what Sasha was doing.  I could sense the overcompensation.

She kept looking at me from the corner of her eye, I could see it.  I couldn’t understand what was going on, but I was determined to find out.  Something bigger was going on.

After chatting for a while she finally left and my parents left me to go upstairs. 

I decided to take a quick shower and when I got out I looked in the mirror.  It was steamy so I rubbed it off and just looked at myself.  Fake.  Everything about my appearance and my life was so fake, except for one gleaming point; Declan.  My hair was always straightened or curled, I always had make up on, and I always wore cute little dresses that just weren’t me.  I had no control of my life.  The one thing that had made me truly happy was even being kept from me.  I couldn’t see a way out.  My mother would have something over me. May it be money or guilt, she is my mother. 

I felt my eyes tearing up, but I quickly looked away and finished getting ready for bed. 

I hoped that tomorrow’s dinner would go well, if it didn’t who knows what would happen.  There would be very little hope other than when I’d turn eighteen, but I’d feel so guilty for leaving my mother and she’d definitely find me.

I sat and began reading to get my mind off things, but it wasn’t helping much.  I just kept reading the same sentence over a few times.  Finally I just st the book down and began trying to go to sleep.  There was nothing better I could do. 

Sleeping wasn’t coming easy though.  My chest felt tight and I felt so confined being in this house.

I finally sprung up in bed and threw my window open.  I looked down and figured it wasn’t a long drop.  

I was going to sneak out.

I ran to my dresser and slipped on a black dress and some leggings to go underneath.  I found my yellow sweater and shoved my arms in.  I made sure to grab my cell phone off my night stand and I made my way to the window. 

It was around ten and my parents were definitely asleep.  They always are out by nine.

I also felt like my mother wouldn’t take too many extra precautions because she’s so sure that the me she knows wouldn’t do something like this.

I stuck my legs out the window and held onto the sill tightly.  I began lowering myself onto a ledge that had a fence with a vine winding up it attached to it.  I got there safely and made the final climb down the vined fence.

My heart was beating in my ears and I felt such adrenaline I couldn’t think.  I quickly pulled out my cell phone and dialed Declan’s number. 

I began walking down the street as the phone rang.