Chapter Twenty-Four: Jake and Me

Chapter 24: Jake and Me

“Why are we here?” I groaned as Faith pushed me through the entrance doors of the mall.

She pursed her lips, “How can you not like shopping? It’s supposed to be every girl’s dream.”

I rolled my eyes and muttered. “Not mine.”

“What was that?” Faith flicked her head up as I finished talking.

I gave her a small smile and answered. “Did you hear something?”

She looked at me suspiciously before saying. “So, where do you want to start at?”

“You’re asking me?” I asked frowned looking at her.

“Yeah, what’s the problem?” She replied furrowing her brows at me.

“Let’s go to the pet store?” I suggested giving Faith a pleading smile.

She answered me with a flat look. “It’s called shopping, not looking for puppies.”

“It’s my kind of shopping and they’re so cu- Oh, I’m so sorry!” I replied bumping into someone.

I looked up to see the person I ran into. I quickly noticed a familiar blonde mop of hair. It was Jake. He stared down at me giving me a questioning look.

The image of our kiss entered my mind, which made me look directly at the floor.

“H-hi Jake,” I managed to get out of my mouth. I took a quick glance at Faith. She was giving me a look I couldn’t decipher.

“Hey Maddie, I thought you didn’t like shopping.” Jake responded nonchalantly.

“I don’t, Faith made me come with her.” I answered shooting a glare in her direction.

Faith cleared her throat as if it were her turn to say something. “For your information, I didn’t make you come with me. I just told you something that wasn’t exactly the truth.”

I turned to her and snorted, “Yeah, yeah, still you didn’t tell me you were taking me to the mall.”

She let out a breath of air and told me, “Fine. If you don’t want to come with me, then I’ll go by myself.”

Before I could tell her to stop, she walked in the direction of Macy’s. I had almost forgotten Jake was still here, until I turned around and almost bumped into him again. I instantly took a step back and directed my eyes at his chest.

“So, what are you doing here?” I asked feeling uneasy with the silence.

“I wanted to check out the pet store.”

I looked up at him, for a moment forgetting about the kiss, and smiled, “I want to go there too.”

His deep blue eyes stared into mine, making me feel self conscious, “Want to come with me?”

I bit my lip debating what to say. If I said no, then he’d know I’m avoiding him, but if I said yes, I would feel so uncomfortable. I sighed internally and said to Faith mentally, Thanks, for leaving me!

“Sure,” I finally gave in, forcing a smile onto my lips.

His eyes lit up as he stared down at me. We walked silently through the mall. The sound of people talking, laughing, and yelling rang into my ears. Although, I noticed that you couldn’t hear a single conversation. It sounded as if all the talking formed into one giant glob.

“Maddie?” Jake’s voice made me look up at him. “You’re passing the pet shop.”

I smiled cheekily, “I was…uhh testing you.”