Chapter Thirty: Tristan's Parents

Chapter Thirty: Tristan’s Parents

               “Jake, I said I’ll talk to you later okay? I’m kinda busy at the moment.” I muttered into the phone.

               “But—Mads,” he whined.

               I didn’t know why he had suddenly called me. I was just about to go into Mr. and Mrs. Price’s room. My concentration shattered as soon as my phone buzzed in my pocket. At first, I was just going to ignore the call, but when I saw Jake’s name I kind of felt bad. I hadn’t talked to him since the other day when I promised him I would explain everything. And so far, I hadn’t.

              “I’m sorry Jake. I’ll come over to your house as soon as this is over, okay?”

             “What’s over? Maddie, what aren’t you telling me. Are you with that as—“

              I interrupted his accusations by ending the call. I couldn’t be thinking about him right now, I should be thinking about trying to get Tristan’s parent’s approval.

             “Is everything alright?” Tristan nudged me with his elbow.

             I glanced up at him and tried to give him a reassuring smile. “Yeah, everything’s fine.”

             “Okay,”

            “Are you ready to do this?” I asked, not entirely sure if I was asking him or me.

                “Yeah, if they don’t like you then they like absolutely nobody,” he frowned, and shook his head in annoyance.

                For a moment I wondered how many girls he actually brought up here to meet his parents. Was he just using them like he was using me, or did he actually like any of them? Tristan was known to be a playboy at my school, and I’d seen him around with several girls on his arm during the same year. For some reason, I had a feeling I wasn’t the first girl up here.

                The large, dark wooden door stood only a few feet away from me. I was scared, what if Tristan’s parents don’t like me? What if they tell me never to speak to Tristan again? What if I can never see him again?

                My heart thudded in my chest violently as Tristan clutched the door knob. I held my breath as he pushed the door in. Bit by bit, the door inched open and inside I saw two figures standing near the back of the extremely large room. Their backs were turned to us. Tristan slid his hand into mine and we intertwined our fingers together.

               If we were going to do this, we had to do it now.

               We walked a few steps into the room before one of the figures turned around to face us. When the person turned around she looked a lot like Faith. Her hair was the same, dark brown like Tristan’s and Faith’s but unlike Faith’s hair, it was cropped to shoulder length. Her eyes raked over me, scrutinizing me, looking for any mistakes.

               I tightened my grip on Tristan as we walked closer and closer to the lady. She wrinkled her nose in distaste as we became within hearing distance. She looked…snooty. The kind that everyone thinks rich people are. She smiled at me, but it wasn’t friendly. It was the kind of smile and made you think you did something wrong.

              “Hello, Madison, was it?” She cocked her head to the side, and that same sinister smile appeared again.

             “Y-yeah, it’s nice to meet you,” I untangled my hand from Tristan and pushed my hand out in front of me.