Chapter Twenty-Five: What Now?

As my sobs started to subside, Jake’s comforting arms never left me. He didn’t move and he didn’t talk, he just stayed completely still. I didn’t know how much time had passes, but it must have been awhile because my neck my starting to ache from the way it was positioned.

“I’m stupid,” I muttered in my dry croaking voice.

“Shh, don’t say that.” Jake replied quietly to me.

I peeked my head out of my hands and looked up at him. He stared at me with his brows furrowed and a worried expression. When he noticed I was staring at him, he tried to give me an encouraging look. I tried to return it, but it felt like my mouth was unfamiliar with a smile on it.

“What is he hiding from me?” I questioned mostly to myself.

“Who?” Jake cocked his head to the side. Then a face of realization passed his face then, anger quickly replaced it, “It’s about Tristan. What happened in there, Maddie?”

I diverted my eyes away from him. What was I supposed to say? I was wrong this whole time and I shouldn’t have gone out with Tristan? Should I say that Tristan and Faith is hiding something from me and Faith wants me to break up with him? I definitely couldn’t tell Jake this. Jake would just get angry and probably hurt Tristan or Tristan could hurt him.

“Maddie,” Jake said with his jaw clenched, “what happened in there?”

I sighed and looked at him directly in the eyes, “It’s nothing okay? I’m going to go.”

Just as I started to get a grip on the floor, Jake gripped me by my shoulder and pulled me back. I stopped struggling against him and turned around. He was staring at me intently. I could feel my heart beat accelerate quickly as I gazed into his worried, deep, blue eyes.

“You told me to act like your best friend again. I’m doing that right now. So, please tell me what’s going on.” He pleaded, making sure I didn’t look away from him.

My face was heating up as each seconds passed by. Why was I reacting this way around him, I thought I didn’t feel anything for Jake. Maybe it’s different. A small voice said within me.

I let out a breath of air and decided to tell him what was going on, “Fine, I’ll tell you. Faith told me to break up with Tristan.”

Jake’s expression surprised me, a small grin crept onto his face, “Well, what are you waiting for? Go break up with him.”

A disapproving look made its way to my face, “Wow, what a way to act like my best friend.”

“I am being your best friend. I’m telling you Tristan isn’t a good guy, he told me that he was using you…” He trailed off as he watched my reaction.

“You knew he was using me?!” I glared at him. If he knew that why didn’t he tell me!

I swatted his hand off my shoulder and stood up. I placed my hand on the handle just as Jake leaned against the door. I tried to pull the door open, but Jake’s weight held it in place.

“I want to get out of here.” I glared at him, tugging harder at the bathroom door.

“Not until you’ve calmed down.” He muttered, not budging at all.

“How the hell am I supposed to calm down!? You didn’t tell me anything! You just stood there and made me look like a complete idiot.” I retorted. My hands were clenched into tight balls and my whole body was shaking involuntary from my rage.

Jake cringed from the sound of my voice, but stood completely still.

“You think I didn’t tell you anything?” Jake sighed before continuing, “I’ve been telling you all this time. How many times did I tell you that he wasn’t good for you? How many times did I tell you he’s just a jerk? Remember that time when I told you to break up with him? The truth is you were just so in love with him, you didn’t even listen to me!”