Chapter Eighteen: I Lost My Bestfriend?

This chapter has been edited! :)

---------------------

Chapter 18: I Lost My Bestfriend?

Jake stood there staring at me. His eyebrows were pulled together with a crease forming inbetween them. I could feel a thick lump beginning to swell in my throat, making my breathing and swallowing painfully hard. My palms were slick with sweat, and I tried wiping them against my jeans. I wanted to say something, anything, but nothing came out, even when I opened my mouth. I was caught and I knew it.

"Jake." My voice came out dry and hoarse.

It took him a moment to respond to me."What just happened?"

"What do you mean?" I tried to shrug indifferently, playing it off.

He let out a sigh in frustration. "Don't play dumb with me, Maddie. You know what I'm talking about."

"No, I don't." I lied with small, quiet voice, directing my eyes to the floor.

"You just kissed that f*cking asshole! Why the hell are you trying to lie to me!? I was right there, Maddie!" Jake yelled, his face turning a light shade of red. I felt my body cringe back at the sound to his loud voice. Jake hardly ever yelled at me, and it had a very negative effect on me.

"Jake, I-I don't know..." I trailed off, biting my lip. My eyes were still glued to the pavement beneath me, tracing the lines with my feet.

"I came all the way over here to just make sure you didn't kill anyone on your date, instead I see you sucking faces with....with him." Jake clenched his teeth together, making a muscle bulge from his jaw. He was having a hard time controlling his anger at the moment. "Were you just playing me this whole time? Did you actually even hate him? Did you do all of this to make me look like a complete idiot? Huh?"

I felt my eyes prickle at the corners, salty water forming from the ongoing accusations Jake was throwing at me. Did he actually believe I would do that to him? Did he think I was such a terrible person? Maybe I am.

The last time I spoke to Jake, I had told him that I hated Tristan. I told him I hated his guts, and I did...at that time, but now it's different. It's changed, and I honestly didn't know how. Maybe it was when Tristan saved me from Derek and his crew a few weeks ago. Maybe it was the way his smirk started to affect me in a new way. Maybe it was the date. The date that changed my views on him forever.

It was just something that just happened. Something that happened without my consent. In the end, maybe it was just inevitable for me not to develop feelings for Tristan.

Feeling like I didn't know how to explain these feelings that I didn't quite comprehend myself, I said the only thing I could think of. "I'm sorry, Jake."

"You're sorry? You're sorry. Well that just fixes everything doesn't it Maddie. Do you know how worried I was about you? Instead, I end up seeing you kissing that damn jerk!" Jake fumed, his hands balling up into tight fists. The knuckles on his hands turned into a sickly white shade.

"Why are you being so mean? Why aren't you even letting me talk?" I whispered, feeling the first drop of a warm, salty tear trail down my cheek.

"Because Maddie, I didn't think you could be so stupid."

My heart clenched at the sound of his harsh words. "Jak-, "He cut me off before I could say anything else.

"You know what? I don't think you need me anymore. Since you clearly can't see what he's doing to you. He's using you Maddie, right in front of your face. He obviously doesn't care about you. I'm leaving." Jake pushed past me, without even meeting my eyes.