Chapter 24: Moments

Weeks had passed since I accepted the role of being Nathanville High’s cheer captain. My bedroom suffered a drastic change from a musical themed room to a room filled with pom-poms and designs for the cheer squad’s outfit. My days had been busy and I was thankful that my beloved friends still wanted me to be the president for our school’s music club even though I’ve missed practice quite a number of times. My time would be constantly occupied by cheer practice, designing outfits and choreographing the moves for the cheer squad. Fortunately, I had Jamie around to help me with things for else my brain would have shut down weeks ago.

          Now as the crowd stared intently at the football match, I held my breath and wished Jason the best. Everyone in Nathanville High knew about our relationship since Jason had made it public. I thought that there would be mostly negative response from others but instead, occasionally people would come up to me and tell me that they had expected it since day one. So I thanked God for the positive response from others.

          A gasp escaped my lips as everyone held their breath. The minute Jason scored, I could hear the cheerleaders behind me scream and cheer for joy. Some even threw their pom-poms in the air and hugged each other. I grinned like an idiot as the players on the football team tossed Jason in the air and chanted his name. They have been practicing on the field so hard for weeks, Jason even sacrificed his time with me just to train the players. They deserved it, the deserved to win. The principal appeared on the field with a golden trophy and by seconds, the players of Nathanville High were surrounding the principal, cheering and whooping around.

          My eyes instantly met Jason’s and he waved at me. I blew a kiss to him and he pretended like he caught it. “Aw! That is so cute!” I heard Brenda’s comment. Brenda was one of my closest friends on the cheer squad. She reminded me Jamie in so many ways. I turned around and faced her. Her boyfriend, Tyler, had his arms around her as the both of them smiled at me. Sometimes I envy Brenda’s relationship with Tyler because they were free to love each other. Sometimes when I was with Jason, my mind would constantly drift to the deal between my mother and Keith’s dad. Fortunately for me, the both of them decided to postpone the wedding till I’ve graduated from high school.

          “We’re going to Drake’s celebration party later, you should come. I know Jason’s coming.” Tyler suggested. “You could follow my car with Brenda.”

           “Oh, no thank you. I’m not really a party person.” After the last party I went to during the summer, I don’t think I would want to attend anymore parties. Besides, the whole place would probably be filled with alcohol and drunk teenagers.

          “Alison doesn’t like alcohol.” Brenda said, looking at Tyler.

          “I see. The party is actually at the beach and you know Drake, he’s a good guy. Alcohol are never present in his parties.” Tyler told me.

          Maybe I needed to loosen up a bit.

          “Okay fine. I’ll meet you guys at the parking lot. I’ll just grab my bag and go.” I waved at them before going up the bleachers to grab my bag that I had left with Jamie. Jamie saw me and waved at me before handing over my bag to me. “Jamie, I’m going to Drake’s party. Do you wanna follow me?” I asked her.