Chapter V

A/N: This chapter is dedicated to Vampiregirl81 so she will keep her toe away from me ear. Enjoy!!

--------------

It's dark and couldn't see anything. The only thing I could hear was a quiet noise in the distance. That noise gradually became louder until I recognized it. As soon as I did, I felt my heart stutter. The cold laughter echoed around me and in my head. Cold, blue eyes suddenly shone out of the darkness.

I shook my head and said, "No, no, no, no..."

Something was shaking me. "Wake up!"

Somebody was saying wake up. The voice was so distant I almost didn't hear it. When the voice said it again, it was louder. "Wake up!"

I sat up gasping for air. The first thing I saw were blue eyes. I scream got lodged in my throat as cold terror settled over me. Then I took in the face that was holding those eyes. I struggled to get my breathing under control. It was only Daryl. I breathed a sigh of relief.

I looked up at him and said, "Thank you, for waking me up. It was horrible."

"Yeah, well, your whimpering was disturbing my sleep."

His cold words hurt me. Why was he being this way after helping me earlier? He pulled himself up onto the top bunk and I remembered that he had given me his bed. I whispered, "You can have your bunk back."

"So I can hear you thrashing around and causing those springs to squeak? No thank you."

"Hmph. I was only trying to be nice."

"Nobody asked you to be nice, sweetheart. Now, if you don't mind, I'm going back to sleep."

There was no way I was going to be able to go back to sleep. I stood up and quietly back through the hallway that led to outside. I opened and shut the door and made my way to a guard tower. If I wasn't going to sleep, I might as well make myself useful. I found a rifle and made myself comfortable. I had almost managed to doze off when I saw a movement out of the corner of my eye. I had only been up here about ten minutes.

It was Axel. I don't know why, but that man made my guard go up faster than a walker. He disappeared out of my sight for about a minute and then returned beside me in the guard tower. He said, "Howdy Miss Celeste."

I nodded in acknowledgement. "Was it a nightmare?"

"What?"

"That woke you up. It was a nightmare, wasn't it?"

Technically the nightmare didn't wake me up. Daryl did. So I grinned when I said, "Yeah, it was a nightmare."

He shifted a little closer and my back stiffened. He noticed and said, "I didn't mean no offence, ma'am. I was just trying to get comfortable."

I looked at him and wondered what it was that he could've done to land him in prison. He didn't look like a common criminal. In fact, he looked more like a common farmer. I said, "It's not you, Axel. I'm not comfortable around men."

"You're sleeping in the same cell with one."

I frowned. "That's because I don't have a choice. It was the only cell with a spare bed and I wasn't going to ask somebody to go through the trouble of changing spaces."

I stared off into space. The sky was beginning to turn pink. After a few minutes of a surprising comfortable silence I asked, "Axel, do you know where Machonne is from?"

"No, she wasn't even with the group when they arrived at the prison. She hasn't been here long and she doesn't talk much. Actually the only time she shows real emotion is when she's around Carl and the baby. Other than that she's stone cold. Why?"

"I just feel like I know her."

"She did act awfully strange around you. Well, more so than usual."

The sight of a walker coming towards made me alert. Axel put a hand on my arm and I flinched. He automatically took it away. He stood up and said, "Don't shoot and waste the bullets. It can't get through."

I raised the rifle to look through the scope. What I saw made me drop the gun and freeze. It was my father. The one that I'd only seen in pictures. I put a fist to my mouth to quiet the scream I felt building. Taking out my mother, my stepfather, my cousins was no big deal. But seeing the father that I'd always dreamed about as one of those things was more than I could bear. I slid to my knees and bent over. No! The denial ripped through me until it became verbal. "No, no, no, no, no, NO!!!!!"

Axel tried to comfort me by putting a hand on my shoulder. It pushed me over the edge. Now, most people become hysterical sobbing puddles when they go over. I don't. I flew up and pinned Axel to the wall. I said in a low deadly voice, "Don't. Touch. Me. Again."

He nodded and I let him go. I flew down the stairs. I swept through the room that held the cells. I saw where Rick hid my knives and grabbed them. I heard Axel running after me. He wasn't as quiet as I was and it woke Carl up.

He rubbed his eyes sleepily. "Celest? What are you doing?"

"Stay here boy."

I took off in the opposite direction of the door that led to the outside. I wound my way through hallways until I came across a herd. I went all psycho killer on them and killed the entire herd by myself. I was just about to move on when a firm hand settled itself on my shoulder. I spun around to fend off my next attacker. My sword stopped in midswing when I saw Machonne.

Then it hit me. I knew her. I dropped my sword and crumpled to the floor again. I pulled my knees up to me and buried my face in my hands. I mumbled, "I know who you are."

"What?"

I looked up at her and said, "I know who you are."

"Really? And who am I?"

******READ***ME********

So who do you think Machonne is to her? Again this is dedicated to Vampiregirl81 aka Michaela so she will keep her toe away from my ear. It is a loooooong story that I will not discuss.

What's going to happen to Celeste? Is she going to remain unstable like Rick? Or will she pull herself together and not let her emotions overtake her?

You'll just have to wait until the next chapter. *rubs hands together and laughs maniacly (I pretty sure that's spelled wrong but who cares?)*

I'll leave you all for now to continue hating me for making this chapters so short.

xoxo

Werewolfgirl13