Chapter III

Rick said, “I almost forgot, give me your bag.”

I looked him in the eye and asked, “Why? I gave you my weapons. All that’s in here is an extra pair of clothes and some food and water.”

“Hand it over.”

I glared at him while handing over my pack. I asked in a sarcastic voice, “Do you want the clothes on my back, too?”

Everyone looked stunned for a minute. Then they started laughing. A hard look from Rick had them trying to hide their laughter (unsuccessfully) behind yawns and coughs. “No, this’ll do. Unless you have knife sewn into them.”

Glenn said, “That wouldn’t surprise me,” in a low voice.

I turned my glare on him. “What’d you say, Asian boy?”

The chick with shortish hair said, “Don’t you talk to him that way.”

“I’ll talk to him however I want to.”

“Oh, it’s on.”

She lunged at me and Glenn screamed, “No, Maggie.”

We fought. It was kind of fun. I wasn’t really trying to hurt her. Arms grabbed me from behind. That’s when I started trying. If it had been any other, I probably could’ve pinned him down. But no, it had to be the redneck that knew how to handle other rednecks. So Daryl had me and Glenn was holding Maggie back. Rick was between us. He looked at me and said, “I won’t tolerate fighting. If you want to stay with us, you’re going to have to get along.”

I looked over his head at Maggie. I saw the look on her face. She’d been enjoying it too. She met my eyes and laughter sparkled in them. We started laughing at the same time. We got crazy looks and Daryl let go of me saying something about strange women.

Glenn let go of her and Rick stepped back. She reached out her hand and said, “I’m Maggie.”

I took her offered hand and said, “Celeste.”

After introductions I found Rick. I eyed my bag sitting on the floor beside him. I asked, “Can I have my weapons?”

“Not yet. I still don’t trust you.”

“Oh, come on! At least give me my great-grandma’s knife.”

“No, but you can have your pack back. Nice underwear by the way.”

I felt my face heat up. I knew what he’d saw. My only extra pair of underwear was a black lace thong. I snatched up my pack and stalked away. I heard Rick’s voice echo behind me, “The bra was nice, too.”

I threw my hands up in the air. I give up. There is no winning with that man. Then I remembered that I didn’t know where I was going to sleep. So I stopped and took a deep breath. I plastered an obviously fake smile on my face and walked back to Rick. I asked in my worst country twang, “By the way, where am I goin’ to sleep?”

“Well, I think one of the bunks in the cell Daryl’s using is empty. That’s the only empty cell besides that one over there that doesn’t have a bed. Normally I’d make you sleep in there, but I took your weapons so I’m going to give you a chance."

I thought to myself, Great, just great. I'm going to be sharing a cell with a man I just met and know absolutely nothing about.

I carry my pack over to the cell that Rick had pointed out. When I saw Daryl sitting on the bottom bunk cleaning his arrows, I almost turned around to go to the bedless cell. Just as I was about to turn he looked up. Those blue eyes held me where I stood.  

He smirked and asked, "Well are you just going to stand there or what?"

"I, uh, I... Rick said I could bunk with you since it's the only cell with one person in it. But I can sleep in the other if you don't want me to."

He just looked at me with those piercing blue eyes and arrogant smirk. Did the man not know how to actually smile? He finally nodded and looked back down to his arrows. I took that as a yes. I don't know why, but he made me nervous. There was just a quiet yet dangerous air about him. When we'd first met he made me feel safe. I guess we were also surrounded by flesh eating walkers. I threw my pack onto the bare top bunk. Just what I needed for my fear of heights.

I stoond there awkwardly. I asked, "So, where're you from?"

"Doesn't matter any more."

"Guess it doesn't. Isn't it ironic that people used to make fun of rednecks and now they're reduced to doing just they did? Hunting for food, living off the land."

"Guess so."

I gave up on trying to have a conversation. I spun around and come face to face with a walker.

***********************READ****ME********************

First off, don't hate me for keeping these things short. They're just leading up to the first big surprise. Does anybody have a guess as to what that is? Come on! I really want to know what you guys think about what's going on.

Second, I know I said Thursday, but I finished it tonight and I didn't know if I'd have access to the Internet tomorrow. So you are getting it today: WEDNESDAY

Third, What do you think of the cover? It was made by Allie_Grace. As you can see, she is amazing at this so you should go over and ask her to do yours.

Fourth, please please please VOTE/COMMENT/FAN! *gets down on knees* I'm begging you! I only eat when I get votes and comments (not really-I eat when I want to) so please do it.

So I guess if my pleading has paid off, I will be a very happy person and my self esteem just might raise a level, which would be level 1.

xoxo

Werewolfgirl13

P.S. You should so follow me on Twitter @WantDirtyDixon. I purposely changed some people's personalities just a little for this chapter to add humor. Yes, I know Rick is mourning his wife's death but I thought the situation needed lightened up a bit. And I know Maggie really wouldn't get in a fight that easy. So don't have a hissy fit because this is my story. Just remember that.