Chapter VI

Walkers. Everywhere. Well, isn’t this just lovely? My wolf (yes, I said wolf) brushed against my legs and softly growled. I put my free hand on her head to settle her. After school, I’d volunteer at the local zoo. A litter of wolf pups had been born and their mother had died. They’d been hand raised and I’d helped. My wolf would follow me around on little wobbly legs when she was little. She was now two years old. The zoo I’d volunteered at had believed in making the wolves hunt like they would in the wild, so without a mother it was up to us to teach them how to hunt. My girl took to it instantly. I now used her to hunt and track food. She’s also a very good guard dog, er, guard wolf.

I aimed my hand gun the nearest walker and was once again thankful for the invention of silencers. We made our way around the herd without being noticed. My aim: the lake near the point just outside of the city. Once we got there, I noticed signs of someone once being here. I could tell that it hadn’t been recently either.

I made my way to the lake. I bent down and filled my water container full. I then started a small fire with dry wood that wouldn’t cause too much smoke. I left my water to boil and purify and once again stood at the edge of the lake. I looked at my reflection. My hair was pulled back into a sloppy bun. A ghost of a smile appeared on the lips of the girl in the reflection.

My hair was dyed a dirty blonde and tips were black. It’d been a private joke between me and my sister. I’d never actually met her. Our parents had divorced when we were babies and they’d taken one of us. We were twins. They didn’t try to hide us from one another. We talked on Skype and Facebook. We’d been planning a trip to meet once school was out. The epidemic changed that.

At the thought of the epidemic, the small smile disappeared. I remembered waking up to moans coming from my dad’s room. When I opened his door, well, let’s just say that he wasn’t his normal self. My dad shared an apartment with his best friend. She’d been out of town when it had it had hit. I haven’t seen her since the day she’d left. She’d been like the mother I’d never had. Dad had never remarried.

I closed my eyes has a tear escaped. It rolled down my cheek and splashed into the clear lake. I opened my eyes and watched the ripples. A sense of hopelessness overcame me. The mismatched eyes in the reflection filled with despair. Shakira butted her head against my side and whined. I patted her head and wiped away the remaining tears. I looked once more into the eyes of the stranger in the reflection. One eye was so dark that it looked black with silver specks through it. The other was a vibrant green with gold flecks in it.

I stood and walked back to the fire. The water had just begun to boil so I stripped down to nothing and dove into the lake. It felt nice to be able to wash even though I had no soap. Shakira seized the moment to swim around the lake too. It wasn’t too deep. I had to stand on my tiptoes to keep my nose above the water level in the very center. After I managed to scrub most of the dirt off of me, I swam back to shore. I attempted to clean my clothes. I found sticks to hang them over the fire. Since my water was purifying and my clothes were drying and I had nothing to do for once, I waded back out into the lake. I went about waist deep, took a deep breath, and just floated. The sun on my face felt nice.

I’d almost dosed off when Shakira’s warning growl brought me back. I quietly swam back to shore. I checked my clothes, surprised that they were dry. I didn’t think I’d been in the water that long. My fingers looked like prunes. I slipped into my clothes. All this time Shakira hadn’t stopped growling. I looked at her and her midnight black fur stood on end. She was facing towards the woods. I grabbed my gun and water container. I dropped it after burning my fingers. I slung my pack over my shoulder after quickly putting the container in it so I wouldn’t get burned again.

“Heel.”

The sharp command had Shakira returning to my side and stopped growling. The biggest herd of walkers that I’d ever seen burst through the woods. I said, “Come!” to Shakira and ran. There were too many of them to even try to shoot to slow them down. I ran down the hill until I came to a road. I followed it with the wolf on my heels. I stopped at the first vehicle I came to which was and old Chevy truck. The keys were in it but it wouldn’t start so I moved on. The next one I came to was a cherry red Mustang. I threw open the door and found the key still in the ignition. I turned it and it sputtered. I tried again muttering, “Come on, come on.”

It started to life and I whistled for Shakira.

I sped down the road at break neck speeds, weaving around idle cars long forgotten. Ironically the car came to sputtering stop at a gas station. With no power came no gas. I stepped into the store and the bell rang. I put a hand up to stop the sound. I looked around and saw dead walkers lying around. They all had been stabbed in the head. My hand automatically went to my gun when I heard a scuffling noise.

“I wouldn’t do that if I were you, sweet cheeks.”

******READ***ME******

Who is this? How does she fit into the story? Who did she find in the store?

These are all very good questions. Possibly all of them will be answered in the next chapter.

Tell me what you think the answers are to these questions. I really want to know what you guys think.

Michaela, I hope your toe is satisfied.

Anyway, moving on. I think I’m going to strive for fifty votes before I post Chapter VII so if you didn’t vote on a chapter, go back and do it. DO IT!!!!! Or as my friend Mark would say, “Do it! Or get in the van!”

So please vote, comment, a fan would be appreciated. Tell me if I should put this up for the Wattys. Tell me, tell me, tell me!

Once again, you can follow me on Twitter @WantDirtyDixon

Yes, that is my name. I saw a T-shirt that said “Need Sum Dirty Dixon” but that was too long. I really want that shirt for Christmas too. What I really, really want is him covered in dark chocolate with strawberries and cool whip on a table.

Anyway, thanks again for continuing to stick with me and my randomness and thanks for reading my story.

XOXO

Werewolfgirl13

P.S. I tried flan today in Spanish. I do not recommend it without the caramelized sugar if you do not like slimy, grainy food. It tasted okay but the texture was just too much. I hope you Spanish people are not offended.