|Fifty-Eight|

Kayleigh

There's been a lot going on between my job and Patrick traveling for his. It's hard to find time to settle down and just be together without someone interrupting or my mind wondering elsewhere. So after moving somethings around and Patrick finally being home we had a holiday day where we locked ourselves inside for the whole day. We had cookies to make and and hallmark movies to watch. I was ready to forget about the world for a while and spend the day with my whole world.

We put on our matching PJ's and I even found some for Annie that matches ours. Once we take a few pictures we start the day off in the kitchen. He makes us some grilled cheese for lunch and I make us some cookies. My dad always made these for the holiday and I couldn't wait to eat a dozen or two.

"How are you feeling" Patrick wonders and I smile.

"I'm feeling a lot better now that you're around" I admit as he smiles back. He gives me a quick kiss before returning to his sandwich.

"Do you have everything ready for toys for tots and all that wonder woman stuff you do" he wonders.

"I love that you're interested in what I do, but I want this day to be about you and me. No work, just our love" I insist.

"I think I can do that" he smirks.

So we turn up the music and dance around the kitchen. I pop the cookies in the oven and do the impossible task of cleaning the dishes. And now we wait for the cookies to be done so we can cuddle up on the couch and watch some Christmas movies.

"How many kids do you want" Patrick asks and I look at him weird.

"How many kids do I want" I repeat and he nods. "I'm not sure, I haven't really thought about it. But at least a boy and a girl. I want them to know a good mother that loves them no matter who they decide they are and to have siblings that they can trust with anything" I insist.

"You would make an amazing mom" he insists.

"You think so" I ask.

"Well yeah. You're very nurturing. You can look at someone who is at the lowest point of their life and you see the best in them. You have this ability to love first and ask questions later, something every kid needs. And you know why it's important for the kids to have a mother who loves them, no matter what. You would never let them go to bed wondering if you love them because you never let a day go by where you won't tell them just how much you love them. You won't be perfect but you'll be everything that kid would want and need, just as you are to me" he explains.

"Oh" I gasp. "That was the nicest thing you could have ever said about me."

"I believe in you as a girlfriend, as a part of this community, as a friend, and one day as a wife and as a mother" he claims.

"I didn't have a lot of that growing up" I say softly. "I'm worried that I won't have what a kid needs because I never had it myself."

"I don't worry about that at all. I believe in you in the same way people believe in Christmas" he insists.

"And what about you? You want kids" I question.

"Of course I do. Not any time soon but I would love a kid or two. Family means the world to me. Having you a part of it means a lot to me, and us making a family of our own is really special to my heart. I know kids are a lot to handle and with both of us having a job it'll be even more so. But I believe in you, in us and whatever our family decided to be" he explains.

"Well now I kinda want to start our family" I admit and he laughs.

"I think we should wait" he insists. "Just a little while so we can continue to make sure our life is stable enough to add a baby to it. I want to be there for the kids. Even though I play this game there is more to life than hockey. You've shown me that" he smiles.

"I guess I can wait" I tease and he laughs.

"Plus. I gotta put a ring on it first" he claims.

"Says who" I ask.

"Says me. I want to do right by you. I know nothing says we have to get married, we don't have to listen to what others say. But I want to marry you. Then your kids will have the same name as you" he insists.

"You haven't some really good points" I agree.

"I have given this a lot of thought" he claims.

"I'm down for the ride, whatever you decide" I insist.

The cookies finish cooking so I pull them out of the oven. They smelled just like I remembered and it put a big smile on my face. We move them to a cooling rack and bring the whole thing into the living room. I grab our dog before we all cuddle together on the couch. We find the hallmark Christmas movies and start the beginning of a long night together.

I rest my head on Patrick's chest as I grab a fourth cookie already. I give Annie a bite and eat the rest of the cookie myself. I let out a long sigh before my lips pull tighter. There wasn't any specific reason I was smiling. For the first time in a long time I was just happy. I wasn't thinking about work or the million of things I needed to do. I was thinking about a future where I have his last name and we have kids.

I know this life we want isn't easy. No family is perfect and life will only prove to be harder as we move on. But i know for a fact that I will love my family always and I will love them with my whole heart. And I couldn't wait to start.