|Thirty-One|

Kayleigh

After the guys celebrate their championship in Boston they return to the city and spend even more time with each other. This team was special, the circumstances were special and that made this win feat much more impressive. They went through a lot in thier almost 6 months together and the city was ready to show their appreciation.

So they take to the streets as the players get on buses for a championship parade. I find a Hawks tank top and join Patrick atop the bus that will take us around the city. He had his playoff MVP trophy under one arm and me under the other as he tries his best to sober up. I was at about half the places they went to celebrate but wasn't drinking for my job doesn't really condone getting plastered then ending up on the front page of the newspaper with my famous boyfriend. It's cool when Patrick does it, but I respect my job too much to put them in that situation. Plus he drank enough for the both of us.

"Are you going to remember any of this" I tease.

"Any of what" he asks and I roll my eyes.

"My point exactly" I laugh.

"I rely of the fact that media constantly has a camera on me at all times to help me remember the things I forget" he defends.

"Well I guess there's one good point of being famous" I laugh.

With thier season starting so late this parade was happening at the end of the June, and Chicago gets hot in June. Maybe not Nevada hot, but for a city known for being cold the temperature sure got up there this time of the year.

But the fans didn't care, the players didn't care. They wore their Indian head sweaters in the 90 degree heat for the love of this team and this city. They chanted and hollered and jumped up and down as the players rode by. They were throwing beer up to the players and the guys drank the beer out of the cup without a care in the world. They were the champions and they earned every bit of the fame and congratulations they will see here today.

I didn't have to be a sports fan to know how special it was. As someone who watched the players prepare every day and listened to the stories I understand why this trophy, out of all of them, is the sweetest to win. So many great players got to hoist this exact trophy and now it's in the city with the greatest fans ready to see the world again. There really is nothing like the Stanley cup and no one loves to have it more than this team. It's their second time in for years doing this and the teams and circumstances are different, but the satisfaction is all the same.

After burning up on top of the buses we arrive in Grant park. There was millions of people standing there with signs and beers in their hands cheering, chanting and sometimes just yelling. Everyone just excited to be here celebrating such a great accomplishment.

I take off with Patrick's family and go somewhere where I won't be trampled by someone wearing my boyfriends jersey. We find a nice place to sit and watch the rest of the pep rally.

They let the guys up to the podium to say some words. This is a team full of colorful characters and they did not disappoint at the mic. All of them should stick to hockey for public speaking wasn't their thing. Especially a certain goalie who worked the words "fucking worked their nuts off" and "fucking right chicagoooo " into his very public announcement. Honestly there wasn't a dull moment, never was with this team. They took off and never stoped after that.

Finally Patrick steps up and he goes straight to the microphone. Usually he didn't like having to talk, he would rather his play say what he needed. But you give anyone that much alcohol there isn't much they wouldn't do. So he stands in front of all these people and gives them a little insight into his mind.

"I know you guys have been waiting to hear from me but honestly I don't know what to say. I look out over everyone and I realize just how blessed I am to play for this city. I've never seen a sea of red like this and to be a part of it means a lot to me. You guys took me in as this 18 year old kid and you helped shape me, mold me into this important part of the organization and the city.

This city has my whole heart and so do the people. Specifically Samuel who passed before he could see us win again. Fans like him and all of you are why we do this and we can't thank you enough. You guys motivate us to do this a third time to be able to hang out with everyone again" he says.

The crowd roars at the thought of this core group bringing the cup back year again. And you know what, I won't be the one to doubt these guys. The guys this team is built around, they're amazing. They're experienced and love to help the new and young guys. They all have a passion for this game that's second to none. That's why things like today are possible.

After the pep rally I find my hung over boyfriend and being him back to the apartment. He hasn't been here much but it's time he slows down a little so his body can catch up. So I make him a heavy meal and make him take a cold shower. Once he was done he crawls into bed and I bring him his food. I turn to walk away but he grabs my wrist.

"Stay" he begs.

"I gotta clean up the kitchen" I argue.

"But I want you to stay... please" he says as he looks up to me with those ocean eyes. Damn those things.

"Scoot over" I say as his sad expression turns into a happy one. He rests his head on my shoulder as I pat his head.

"I'm so tired" he mumbles as he shovels some food in his mouth.

"Your mind and your body isn't meant for this kind of action. The adrenaline wears off eventually and you have to come down off that cloud" I explain.

"I want to feel like this forever" he claims.

"Just win again" I tease.

"I wish it was that easy, but I won't win every year. Luckily I have something else that makes me feel that good" he claims.

"And what's that" I wonder.

"You" he claims as he looks his at me. I can't help but smile as I watch him closely.

"I love you" I remind him.

"I love you too Little Moon" he assures me.