|Forty-Seven|

Patrick

The pre season was coming to an end and that means that I get in a game or two. Q wasn't big on playing his guys he knew was going to play every game he can during the season, afraid they'll get burnout quicker than usual or even worse, get hurt. So I finally get the go ahead to lace up right before the season was to start.

"I think that's the last box" Kayleigh announces as she sets her box she had down inside of the door. About five more sit next to it filled with things from the last apartment.

"So we're moved in then" I ask.

"Well we have to get the things out of the boxes" she giggles.

"Obviously" I roll my eyes. "But everything we need is in here" I try.

"Yes. So we can probably go get the dog off the porch before she tries something stupid, she is half blind you know" she reminds me.

So we retrieve Annie and she does her best to help unboxing things. Once she got the dog toys out she figured her job was done. We finish setting up the apartment to our liking and it starts to feel like home.

The very first thing I set up is the surround sound speakers. You would think I would start with my hockey stuff or gaming, but music is the one constant in my life. It's is a big part of everyone's lives, and especially athletes. There's certain songs you play to bring back memories, and maybe you don't remember what was said or what it looked like. But you remember how you felt and you can feel that way again, just for a little while.

"There" I announce proudly as I step down from the ladder. I turn to Kayleigh with the biggest smile as she laughs at my innocent reaction.

"So are you going to play a song or just look at the speakers" she teases making me smile.

"I have the perfect one" I insist.

I grab my phone and connect it to blue tooth. I pick a song before tossing my phone onto the couch. I walk over to her before wrapping my arms around her waist. I smile as her hands rest on my chest. I pull her close as she closes her eyes and rests her head on top of her hands.

"I hope the days come easy and the moments pass slow
And each road leads you where you wanna go
And if you're faced with a choice, and you have to choose
I hope you choose the one that means the most to you

And if one door opens to another door closed
I hope you keep on walkin' till you find the window
If it's cold outside, show the world the warmth of your smile
But more than anything, more than anything

My wish, for you, is that this life becomes all that you want it to
Your dreams stay big, your worries stay small
You never need to carry more than you can hold
And while you're out there getting where you're getting to
I hope you know somebody loves you, and wants the same things too
Yeah, this, is my wish"

I could feel my heart banging in my chest, even with her hands over my heart. I notice that it had the same rhythm as hers right now making me smile. We continue to sway back and fourth to the sounds of the music.

"We need to finish unpacking before you go to your game tonight" she insists.

"Or... we can stay like this forever" I try.

"I wish like hell that were true, but were broth needed elsewhere. Also we need dog food or Annie is eating all the new furniture" she reminds me.

"I guess we can feed the dog" I sigh sarcastically as she starts to giggle.

"But I would like to stay like this a little while longer" she admits.

"I think we can do that" I assure her.

"I hope you never look back, but you never forget
All the ones who love you, in the place you live
I hope you always forgive, and you never regret
And you help somebody every chance you get
Oh, you find God's grace, in every mistake
And always give more than you take
But more than anything, yeah, more than anything

My wish, for you, is that this life becomes all that you want it to
Your dreams stay big, your worries stay small
You never need to carry more than you can hold
And while you're out there getting where you're getting to
I hope you know somebody loves you, and wants the same things too
Yeah, this, is my wish, yeah, yeah."

I look down as I just admire this miracle that sits in my arms. This wasn't a random song I chose, I chose it for her. Because I wish, more than anything, that she's happy. That she had found a home in this place, in me. I wish that this life that finds us here is everything she has ever dreamed of. She was a brilliant girl, the most incredible and inspirational person I know. She's had to go through so much and she's had to forgive so many to get where she is. Here in my arms happier than she's ever been. She deserves every ounce of happiness she has and I wish that it stays here forever.

"My wish, for you, is that this life becomes all that you want it to
Your dreams stay big, your worries stay small
You never need to carry more than you can hold
And while you're out there getting where you're getting to
I hope you know somebody loves you, and wants the same things too
Yeah, this, is my wish (my wish, for you)
This is my wish (my wish, for you)
I hope you know somebody loves you (my wish, for you)
May all your dreams stay big (my wish, for you)."

The song ends but she doesn't leave my arms. She stays there as the silence fills the apartment. Our boxes still sitting my the door ready to open a new chapter in our lives. But we wanted to finish this paragraph first.

"Baby" I whisper.

"Yeah" she asks as she finally lifts her head off my chest. I stare into her big green eyes as she stares back at me.

"I'm really happy we did this" I insist as she smirks really big. She stands on her yippie toes and presses her lips to mine. I happily kiss her back as my fingers grip her shirt.

"I love you so much" she whispers and I swear my heart skips a beat.

"I love you too, Little moon" I reply.