|Eighteen|

Patrick

To Kayleigh graduation isn't anything new. She's already got a bachelors in public service and political science. She's been through more schooling than literally anyone I know, she's got enough cap and gowns to supply a small family.

But this graduation was important to her because this is her last one, she will get her masters in civil service meaning she can get government jobs and begin making a difference and changing the world. I haven't a doubt in her mind she could do just that, it was only a matter of time.

So I wanted to make her graduation special, considering it was her last one before she gets a big girl job. I decide to pull some strings and fly her family into town for the week. I got them a nice place to stay not too far from us and even got them tickets to a game. Her dad seemed pretty excited to come here, I knew he was close with Kayleigh and she talked to him every day. Originally they weren't going to be able to make it out due to monetary reasons but we figured out how to make it work. I was pretty excited to meet her dads and her brother and sister, if they're half as cool as Kayleigh makes them seem that would be enough.

I pick them up from the airport early the morning of her graduation and bring them to their hotel. She was out with her study group taking pictures in the city in their caps and gowns and as far as she was concerned I was at practice. But I made sure that her family finds their way to the hotel and they get settled in.

"It's nice to finally meet you in person" her dad Mark claims as he starts to unpack. We had a hour before we had to leave to get to campus so we weren't in a rush.

"You too! Kayleigh has said nothing but the best things about you, she's doing a lot of this because of you and for you" I assure him.

"I know she does" he smiles. "That girl has been looking out for me her whole life. And as you know once she has her mind set there's nothing that will stop her" he shakes his head.

"I've never seen such determination in a person before... and I play professional hockey" I laugh.

"I don't know where she gets it from, because it sure as hell wasn't me. I faked being straight for two decades to make other people happy, I'm the last person to speak up for anything.

But not her... she will always do and say what is right even if it makes her seem like the bad person. She will always be what we need when we need it the most. Too bad there is not more people like her" she claims.

"The world could certainly use more people like her. I never thought about life the way she did and now it's all that I think about" I sigh.

"She's a heavy thinker, but I think she's worth it" he nods.

"I think so too" I agree.

Once they all get changed and settled into their rooms we all go out to the little arena where the graduation was. Not a lot of people were in this major but her friends were here and so was Marissa so I wanted to support her too. So we take our seats and wait for them to come out. I talk to Kayleigh's brother Mason who just so happened to play hockey in college right now. He was a pretty cool dude and looked up to Kayleigh for what she did, much like I did. It's crazy to hear her family talk about her like she was some kid of saint, and at the same time it wasn't crazy at all.

Finally they start the ceremony and not too long after the students start to walk across the stage. Kayleigh shows up and she looks out to the crowd. She nearly falls over when she sees her family sitting there clapping obnoxiously loud. The smile on her face grows bigger than I have ever seen it as she looks over to us. She gives a little wave before grabbing her diploma and walking across the stage.

We finish up the ceremony and find Kayleigh waiting for us outside. She runs right into her dads arms as he catches her easily. You can tell how much them being here meant to her. She would never admit she was bummed they couldn't make it originally. They've been with her every step of the way and it was only right that they were here for the last part before she makes her mark on the world.

She catches up with her family and I stick around to tell her congratulations and that I'm so proud of her. After she takes a bunch of pictures with me and her family and her friends she was ready for dinner. I promise to get everyone some deep dish pizza to celebrate the graduation and bring this long day to a end.

But before we get back to the car I feel someone pull on my wrist. I turn around before being pulled into a long kiss. I smile big as I grab Kayleigh's waist and pulls her into me. "What was that for" I whisper on her lips.

"Andy told me what you did. How you called my dad before I even got my final results back and started to making plans to get them in town. How you called Mason and Monica and made sure they could be a part of this too. You paid for the to fly here and stay here... you didn't have to do that for me" she insists.

"I didn't but I really want to. I know family means a lot to you and so does your education. It's not every day you get your last degree before you go out and change the world. This is special and I knew it would be more so with them here" I jdnsjt.

"You're the best, you know that" she smiles big.

"I don't know about that" I blush.

"Well if I'm the moon then you're the sun" she says.

"I like that" I smile.

"And I like you. Like... really really like you" she says. 

I look at her as I tried to read her face. It almost seemed like she was trying to tell me she loves me without saying that she loved me.

"And I really really like you too" I promise.