|Ten|

Patrick

After a few away games on the west coast I finally get back to Chicago. It was still brutally cold outside but the team was hot, and I mean smoking hot. We have yet to lose a game in regulation and we weren't looking like we were stopping any time soon.

And if I'm being completely honest, the best part of my life right now was seeing Kayleigh. I don't think she's watched any of my games or knew a thing about hockey. She's from Virginia and there's not a lot of sports teams around there. She lived about 20 minutes from Washington DC busy always said she's from Virginia and never gave much attention to the sports happening right next to her. But she's been asking questions and seemed interested in coming to the United Center after I convinced her to come out. I just have to figure out the best time to do so.

In the mean time we hang out and have some fun. We decide to grab a bite to eat at the pier and just talk. I loved picking her brain and seeing what she had to say, it was always something so interesting. She did a lot around the city already I can only imagine what she will be able to do once she graduates in April.

"I honestly can see you as a grade school teacher, teaching the future of the world one thing at a time until you change the world" I insist.

"I would never be a school teacher" she scoffs and I look at her weird.

"Really? Why not" I wonder. She loved kids and helping people learn, it seemed like a no brainer really.

"Because the school system is broken. From the ground up it needs reform and funding and so much more.

We put such a emphasis on getting a education but not what we get from the education. We've been teaching the same things for decades and wondering why we send these kids into the world and they don't know what's going on, what's happening right in front of them. The world is changing and we need to change with it, not use old text books and teach based off of old ideals. The only way we grow is moving forwards and not backwards.

We can annotate Macbeth but what in this world will I need to know about that story? If we pick and choose which parts of history to tell people then what's the point? How do we expect to learn if we only learn what is convenient to us and not the truth? Why not teach the history now? Why do we learn the same things about World War Two three separate times but we never learn about the people who paved the way for us now? We paint other countries as the enemy but I'm sure other countries say the same thing about us when they learn about slavery and internment camps and how women and minorities are treated around here. We can tell axis of parabolas but we never learn how to save up money or do taxes.

The system is broken, we care more about grades and percentages than the kids mental health. We don't take into consideration that school is hard and then we're expected to do sports and other activities and still have time for friends and family. In this city most kids have to support their brothers and sisters, they can't afford to do extra curriculars or the tutors they need.

I want to be a part of the solution, not part of the problem" she explains.

"I never thought about it that way" I admit.

"No offense, but you haven't thought much about anything" she accuses.

"Hey now" I pout, "I'm trying. Being around you has opened my eyes to a lot of things."

"Thank god, I'm surprised you made it this far" she accuses.

"I can be resourceful" I defend.

"I guess so" she smirks.

"Sorry but not everyone can be a moon like you" I accuse.

She just stops eating as she stares at me, god I hated it when she looked at me like that. Like she's never seen anything better. "What do you mean I'm the moon" she questions.

"Because you're not like the stars. There's thousands of stars in the sky, moving across the black canvas on any given night not knowing where they're going. They only shine in the dark and you never know which star is which. You can't really tell them apart.

In a sky full of stars, you're the moon. Big and bright and always right where you need to be. You have this gravitational pull that keeps people close enough to be a part of your life but far enough away we can't really reach you. But without you the world doesn't spin, my world doesn't spin.

That's why you're my moon, my light in the dark and the only one" I say softly.

The smile fights it's way into her face as her eyes lock onto mine. "I think that is quite literally the nicest thing someone has ever said about me" she claims.

"I seriously doubt that" I argue.

"Not a lot of people have a high opinion of me. I speak my mind and I don't like when things go left unsaid" she shrugs.

"That just so happens to be some of my favorite things about you" I insist.

"Well there is a first time for everything" she smiles.

We finish our meal and decide to just walk around the city for a while. She has been here longer than I have and knew a lot of places I've never heard of. So I let her go off on some tangent and soak in every word. I wonder what it was like to be so knowledgeable about life and not wonder what happens day to day.

"Can I ask you something" I wonder.

"You've never asked to ask before" she teases.

"I know, but it's kind of personal" I insist.

"Shoot" she encourages.

"Why don't you like your mom? I mean most girls don't like their mom, but you never mention her besides to emphasize you don't want to be like her" I notice.

"You're Lucky Pat, your mom is one in a million. The kind of person that drops everything to be with you and to support you. I never had that with my mom, she is so stuck in her ways she doesn't even know where she's going anymore. She couldn't even see that my dad was unhappy being with her. She couldn't see why the things she said and did were wrong even if it's what she had been doing her whole life.

It's one thing to make mistakes but it's another thing to stand by them. She couldn't support my dad when he decided that he loved who he loved. She couldn't support me when I told her that I wanted to change the world. She told me I was delusional, that I wouldn't amount to anything. I don't need that kind of negativity in my life. I have people here who know what's right and will fight for what's right. I have people here who will stand by my side through thick and thin and shes not one of them" she explains.

"Well that is her loss. You're a wonderful person and a amazing friend. I'm lucky to have you in my life" I insist.

"What else are moons for" she teases and I smile.

"Exactly."