|Twenty-One|

Kayleigh

I had my interview the other day and I'm pretty sure it went well. It's always hard to tell when you're doing something knew and don't really know what to expect or how to react. I was a little nervous because this was a big girl job, the first one of my life. And even though I have the experience and education I was still just 25 years old. That's young by anyone's standards let alone government standards. So I wasn't sure what my chances were to getting this job when there's people older and more experienced than me.

While I wait to hear back from the state I hang out with Patrick at his place. For the longest time he didn't want to bring me over because his apartment didn't really feel like home. At least that's what he told me. But he put up a few pictures of us and of his family and team around the place. I convinced him to not be so afraid to call this place home in the fear of him not being able to feel at home here in the city.

But we've been spending what little free time we have together at his place. Watching movies, makings some food and just enjoying life as much as possible. It helped me get my mind off of this job too.

"What are you feeling for dinner" I wonder as Patrick starts to think.

"Hmmm, how about some Mexican food. That sounds good" he claims.

"You have one day off from playoff hockey and you are already ruining your diet" I giggle.

"I won't tell if you won't" he smirks.

"Deal" I smile.

So we order some food and have it delivered so we don't have to get up. Patrick and I cuddle up on the couch and watch Pitch Perfect for the millionth time.

About halfway through my phone rings and I thought it would the food people telling me they're downstairs. But when I look at my phone I see a unfamiliar number, as in not the one I just called. So I sit up and reluctantly answer the phone.

"Hello" I ask.

"Hello, is this Kayleigh Connor" the person asks.

"This is her" I assure the man on the other line.

"Great! I'm Nathan Goldman and I'm calling you about the social worker job you had interviewed for" he starts.

My eyes nearly pop out of my head as I jump up out of my seat. The smile on my face grows in anticipation of one of the biggest moments of my life. "You still there" he wonders.

"I'm here" I assure him.

"Good. We were calling to offer you the position as a social worker for the city of Chicago" he starts and I try my damnest not to scream.

"I would be honored to be a part of this great city" I smile.

"Awesome! We will be in contact with you to come down to the city building and finish up paperwork, go over salery and get you started helping this city out" he explain.

"That sounds perfect, thank you so much" I sigh.

We hang up and I slowly turn to Patrick. He had his arms wide open ready for me to jump into them. So that's exactly what I do as he catches me and spins me around. "I'm so proud of you" he cheers as I hold him tight.

He sets me back down on my feet but I hold him even closer. "I can't believe it" I whisper.

"I can" he says. "You're the future of this city, you're the future of so many people here and this is just one step in this journey you're on. From the moment we first started talking I knew you were going to change my life, and you did. And now you get to do it for people who are a lot less fortunate than me.

And I hope... more than anything... I can be a part of it" he insists.

"I don't want to do it without you" I reply as I cup his cheek. His face fits perfectly in my hands as I stare into those brilliant eyes of his. I see trust and happiness... and love.

"I need to tell you something" he claims as we stand there in our own little world. And in that moment I knew exactly what he was going to say before he even says it.

"Say it" I beg as his lips pull tighter.

"I love you Moon" he says barley above a whisper giving me chills all over my body.

I quickly pull him into a kiss before breaking it apart. "I love you too" I assure him and he chuckles.

"Goood, because I was worried" he admits.

"I don't want you to doubt my love for you, never again. My love for you is in everything I do, it's in everything I think up. Being a social worker might be my dream job but you... you're my favorite dream" I promise.

"I find that hard to believe" he claims.

"While my attention and effort might not be able to be on you 100% of the time I will love you 100% of the time. Even when we fight and even when we disagree the one thing that will always be there is this love that's worth fighting for" I promise him.

"You planning on us getting in a fight" he teases as I giggle.

"No" I shake my head. "But I'm about to be working, you're on your way to winning another Stanley cup. It's not going to be easy" I remind him.

"As long as it's worth it that's all that matters to me" he insists.

"Then make it worth it" I smirk.

He presses his lips to mine once more and I felt like I was in heaven. And it would have lasted longer but my phone rings again and I let out a groan. "Maybe the delivery man has the worst timing ever" I mumble as I see their number in my phone.

"To be continued" he asks.

"To be continued" I wink.

I go downstairs and pay the man for the food. I return upstairs and we set up a nice dinner as a pre celebration to getting a job. A lot still needed to happen before I was allowed to get my hands on the city, but at least we had a start.

After dinner Patrick convinces me to stay over. With school over I was a little bit more okay with staying the night since I didn't have to worry about volunteering and school and study groups. Plus it gives me a little more time with the man I love.

So we crawl into bed and as soon as I was under the sheets he pressed his lips to mine. "Where were we earlier" he asks lowly and I smile.

"I think you know" I tease.