Dodge ball is not my forte

To say I was nervous would be an understatement..

I, literally, walked by his table four times because I was being a chicken. Finally, it seemed like Tyler had enough as he walked with me by Ryan's table, only for me to be pushed by Tyler. Thus, causing me to awkwardly fall on Ryan himself.

"I-I am so sorry. My friend Tyler" who I shot a death glare to "accidentally pushed me. I don't know what he was thinking! He could seriously hurt someone like that. I mean, some people die from head collisions and brain tumors. Or, or they could, you know, die from people falling on them. Though I never heard of that lately..." Him pushing me off of him caused my mouth to shut up. Thankfully.

"I couldn't breathe." He chuckled lightly. He scratched the back of his neck, nervously. "I saw you walk by here...um, is there anything you..you know..wanted?" He looked at me with his big rimmed glasses and me thinking of ways to hurt Tyler, went away. I wondered how he would look without those glasses. I bet all the girls here would finally notice. His head turned slightly, making me jump out my thoughts.

"Oh, um..." think, think, think "Oh yeah, I was just wondering if you can help me with what Mr. Walus was talking about...I don't get it, you see. And you're really smart and understand what he is gibbering about..and I was just wondering, haha, if you could help me..Yup, that was it.." I smiled, and it probably was the most frightening smile a person could see in their life. It felt so forced.

Why was he my project again?

Pictures of my grandfather came into my head. Right. I looked down and played with the hem of my shirt. I planned on spending time with him soon. I haven't seen him since the news and damn it I felt so ashamed. How could I be so selfish?

"Em?" He tugged on my long sleeve shirt but that's not what got my attention. Nobody has called me 'Em' except my grandfather. 

"Y-yeah?"

"I said, yes. When do you want to?" His smile was so genuine that it nearly knocked the breath out of me. You know when you see a guy and his cheeks are pink, and you just want to pinch them because it is so rare to see a man blush? That is how I felt right now, this exact moment.

"How about after school?" I saw his smile falter as I spoke which caused my real smile to fall as well.

"I can't. I have plans...an event, actually...with the...um..chess club." He gathered up his papers quickly and threw them inside his bag. I watched as he hastily got up and walked away. This is becoming ridiculous!

This is the second time! He's not even in the chess club!

I would know because I take the photographs for the yearbook. I would have recognized him there. Then something came to me. 'That was epic last night. Today, same time?' Greg, the giant, knows something. I looked around the cafeteria and saw him with his jock buddies.

I threw my strap, from my handbag, over my shoulder and stormed over to his table; only to be stopped by the bell.

I'll get you, you giant. 

Dread.

I was dreading this day!

I lied there sprawled out on the gymnasium floor. I assumed I was dead. I couldn't feel my face, and my eyes held blackness. I could hear people laughing and only two people conversating above me.

"Em, are you okay?"

"I think she is dead."

"Her eyes are opening."

"Rise and shine, sleeping beauty. Minus the beauty part."

I heard a grunt as my eyes focused on two people. My best friend, Tyler, who was holding his stomach as his face was contorted with pain. The other was the one who had hit me directly in the face with a dodge ball.

This is what I get for getting distracted.

I looked around as I watched people playing with dodge balls. I cringed at the sound they make because it caused me to think of that sound as it would hit my face. I could not throw a ball even if my life had depended on it. 

My eyes trailed off  the people with their dirty weapons and set my eyes on a man in the same hideous p.e. uniform. Though we had horrendous colors that man made our uniforms look like they were heaven sent.

My p.e. coach was far from handsome. He was a Greek god. He was what caused my mouth to drool like a waterfall. I was so distracted that I didn't even know we started a game.

Me, being the loser I am, scampered away from the flying balls of fire. 

To say I was surprised that I was the only one left from my team was an understatement. I congratulated myself for being victorious. I could feel my smile burst into achievement; only for it to slowly go away as my eyes set with big rimmed glasses.

It was only me and him.

I quickly grabbed a red ball, most likely looking like a small kitten as he was the lion. I could hear Tyler rooting for me, as well as the rest of the uncoordinated people. Though that didn't compare to Ryan's.

The whole jock team was rooting for him, as well as some of the cheerleaders. That was a surprise. I didn't think they would give Ryan the time of day.

I looked around scared. I think I am about to pee my pants. I slowly raised the ball, but as my eyes roamed the gym, my eyes set on the Greek god himself. I watched as he stretched his arms up which caused his shirt to inch higher; giving us girls a little peek of his v-line. I could hear all the girls sigh, including myself.

And then it hit me. Literally. The ball hit me dead in the face.

It felt like slow motion. Actually it felt like I was in the matrix.

I could hear all the gasps and feet shuffling to my side.

This will never happen again, I told myself.

"You should have seen your face!" Tyler laughed so hard that his face turned a tomato red. I glared at him, but that is not what hurt the most. People all around me were laughing. I felt like the laughing stock and it hurt. So did my face.

"Em?" I could see Ryan reach out for me, but I slapped his hand and ran from the building. I was humiliated to say the least.

I hate Coach Benard for being so sexy. I made Ryan's name seem like a curse word. I know I couldn't say it to his face, but I called Ryan as many names as I could, mentally. Technically, it wasn't his fault. Yet, it still hurt to be laughed at.

And Tyler.

I was going to kill him. First, he causes me to crash into Ryan causing me to become an idiot in front of him. Secondly, he laughs at me. Me, his best friend. And lets not forget that he stole my food.

He was just a pain in my ass!

All I wanted to do was go see my grandpa.

That is what I did. 

I grabbed the my bag from my locker and drove to the hospital.

If anybody can make me feel better, it was my grandpa.