The Story Of Ryan

Chapter 1

I need to find a distraction from just recently finding out bad news that my grandfather had formally introduced. I couldn't bear the thought any longer. Thinking about it nearly makes me want to faint. I am so exhausted from stress and the lack of sleep. To some, I probably looked like a walking disaster roaming the halls. I need a distraction, something. Something to make my mind go on a different route of thoughts than the one's that are lingering there now. My fingers tap impatiently on my desk, probably annoying the classmates that are close to me. I looked around the room for something to give me a sign.

Nothing.

Nothing seemed to grasp my attention. And all hope in me was lost. How could this happen? I read it in books, heard it from friends, but I never thought there would be a time that I would have to experience it. Now I see how they feel. That ache in the middle of your chest that makes you feel as if you can't breathe, the emptiness you feel because you never, ever, thought that this could happen.

My head felt so heavy from my over clouded thoughts. I looked around once more. Seeing the same faces every where I go. Living in a small town comes with a price-every one knows your secret before it even reaches to you. I caught Brian Moore's gaze and he gave me a half smile. Everybody in high school knew each other because we all went to the same kindergarten, elementary, middle school, and now here. Davis High.

I gave him a small smile and turned my head towards the white board. Mr. Walus is writing a new formula that we will soon forget right when we step out of the door. His handwriting was sloppy and unbearable. I don't even think half of these people know what he is saying, let alone writing. Rumor had once got around that his equations are really equations to set off an atomic bomb. Sometimes, you just want to high-five those kids in the face for believing that. They only believed that because of his anger. One mistake you could ever make is telling him that he had gotten his answer or equation wrong. Ryan Sanders had to deal with that just two weeks ago.

Mr. Walus's face was beat red with anger and started literally cussing him out. Telling him that he isn't smarter than him. On the contrary, I think Ryan Sanders is pretty much a genius.

Ryan Sanders.

I inclined my head a tad bit to see over the giant, also known as, Gregory Wilson. He has been tall since god knows when, but it was like he kept growing. Good for his athletic abilities, I suppose. He also had a big head which was my downfall to peek around him.

I bent backwards. I stared at him, in a non-creepy way, he still looked the same. Sort of. His buck teeth have descended some do to the fact that his mother forcefully made him get braces. His acne has disappeared and now were replaced with tiny freckles. He still wore big rimmed glasses, but his haircut changed. It was more of a ragged look as if he continuously ran his fingers through his ashy blonde hair. But something about him was mysterious. Or to me that is. He rarely talked to people unless told to do so. I remember having a tiny crush on him in second grade, but that had disintegrated over the years. To me, he was just Ryan Sanders.

I was about to turn my attention back to my teacher until he turned his face slightly and I caught a glimpse of a bruise that was freshly formed on his left side cheek. I let my eyes wonder over him and my eyes suddenly stopped at his mid-section.

It was toned.

You can see his muscles through his burgundy v-neck sweater. My eyes traced his biceps that were now popping out because of him writing vigorously onto his paper. How could someone not see this? Not see him? And how could he understand the gibberish handwriting of Mr. Walus?

"Mrs. Williams, is there a reason you are staring at Mr. Sanders like he is your prey?" My eyes went wide like saucers while everyone around me stared and chuckled at my dismay.

Some even let out whistles and telling Ryan to 'come and get me.' I could feel my cheeks burn and my bottom lip quiver slightly.

"I-I wasn't." I protested weakly which only caused those around me to laugh more.

"Please pay more attention," he turned back to the white board as I gave him a brief nod. I bent my head down low and from the corner of my eye I could see Ryan looking at me. I slowly raised my head and met his gaze, it felt like we were staring at each other forever. He gave me a half smile that now, gave me a clear view of his dimple. And I couldn't help myself, I let my eyes selfishly scan his entire face. He changed over the years. He may still be classified as a nerd, but then again he wasn't. There was something edgier about his features. Maybe it was the fact that he had a well-defined jaw, or the bruise that was setting on his cheek, the way his eyes looked back at me, something was different.

A loud smack brought us out of our stare off.

"Go be lovebirds somewhere's else. Not in my class!" Mr. Walus's face was red again and I was surprised he hasn't gave both of us detention. I mumbled my apologies and pretended to write down what he was lecturing about. My pencil seemed to have a mind of its own as it drew circles, stars, and other deformed pictures that were capable by my hand.

I finally figured what I would be focusing on. Lets not call it stalking. More like research.

Ryan Sanders, I choose you.

**

All throughout the hallways I have been receiving stares. Much to my embarrassment, the whole class made kissy faces at Ryan and I as both walked down the hall.

Not together, by the way.

It was just mere coincidence that our classes were nearly the same. My counselor told me to try to be valedictorian this year. Ha! And go against the genius himself? I think not. I assume that Ryan has a higher G.P.A. than I do. Rumor has it, his is higher than 4.0. Wouldn't suprise me though.

We both walked by the door at the same time making each other stop and stand in a rather awkward position. I could feel my cheeks burning as I stared at him. Mr. Walus is going to pay!

He gestured for me to go first without even risking a glance at me. He took more interest of his shoes than risking a more embarrassment. His cologne hit my nostrils making me sigh internally. That cologne was my favorite of all men cologne. Gucci Guilty.

It didn't help that Chris Evans was on the cover for that either. I could sniff and stare at the page for hours. Okay, overexaggeration and creepy. Let's get back to the point.

It got more worse as he sat in the seat in front of me do to our last names. I hate teachers that put us in alphebetical order, but right now. It wasn't all that bad.

I had my focus point in front of me.

But somehow, I knew someday this would bite me in the ass.