The Happening

Emery

Ryan and Tyler were acting quite weird today. They were both sitting there at the lunch table hunched over, whispering. Ryan had a deep, concentrated face on. And how lovely it looks. The lines of his face are sculptured beautifully; I feel as if I am staring at a Greek god himself. His ashy blonde hair, that was not covered by his beanie, blew to the side swiftly. He licked his lips and then bit his lower as he listened to what Tyler was saying. I would try to listen in on their conversation, but I couldn't help but stare at those lips. It was like slow motion. Watching his tongue glide along his lower and see his perfect white teeth just glaze it..

"EMERY!"

My eyes tore away, sadly I might add, and I looked at Tyler's amused eyes.

"Hmm?"

Tyler and Ryan both began to laugh and I was beyond confused.

"It looked like she wanted to jump your bones, dude." Tyler laughed while I just sat there and blushed mad. I looked at Ryan and I saw him peek at me from under his eyelashes. Something in his eyes..held something..some emotion that I couldn't tell..but there was also that blush that graced his beautiful cheeks. They went well with his beautiful eyes..and lips.

"There she goes again," Tyler's booming laughter nearly caused everyone to turn towards us. I grabbed my empty bottle and tossed it at his forehead. Surprisingly, I did not miss.

A frown plastered my face as I saw Ryan stand up. He was wearing a navy blue sweater, black skinny jeans, and his black beanie. Damn it. It amazes me how no girl noticed Ryan. And it amazes me how Ryan chose a girl like me.

Plain.

Arms wrapped around my waist from behind nearly making me jump. I turned and saw Ryan smile down at me and I was breathless all over again. His left dimple appeared and I was lost in his eyes again. My eyelids fluttered in surprise as he brushed his lips along mine. Too soon, all too soon, he moved away.

"What is with you today?" He chuckled, placing a strand of loose hair behind my ear.

I shook my head clearing my thoughts.

"I don't know," I breathed.

"Okay. Guys. Lets not make babies in the cafeteria!" Tyler nearly yelled.

"He's so god damn annoying," Ryan said, bringing his lips to my neck. Oh, the sensation that caused me. Why am I feeling all these damn feelings?! Tyler's face appeared in front of ours and he smirked.

"Heard that," he ruffled Ryan's hair and walked away; probably to meet his girlfriend before class. Ryan sighed, fixing his beanie. Once the bell rang he grabbed my hand as we started to walk to class. I don't want to go. Brian will be there.

Ryan pulled me closer to him and kissed my temple. "It'll be okay. I am going to be there."

*** 

Awkward. I could feel the tension between the two of them. Ryan sat by my side while Brian was behind me. I could feel his stare and I bet it was on the line of hatred. My fingers gradually traced the bumpy skin that was left from when Brian tried to do the unthinkable. I could feel my breathing become ragged. I just really wanted this class to end.

"What I'd do to taste your lips again, Emery," Brian whispered towards me. I turned to look at Ryan and he was shaking with anger. I held his hand underneath the table, but I don't think it helped much. He clenched his jaw tightly and if I wasn't so frightened at what might happen, I would be fan girling over how hot he looks.

"What I'd do to hear you moan my name," he now had a strand of my hair and was twirling it. I kept still, but this infuriated Ryan. The finger that was twirling my hair was gone in a flash and so was the hand that I was holding on for dear life. All the sudden you see Ryan punch Brian right out of his chair. His shirt was crumpled in Ryan's fist and Ryan was hitting him over and over again. A girls scream broke me out of my shock and I ran to pull Ryan off.

"Ryan stop! Ryan, plea-" my pleading was cut off as he pushed me and caused me to collide my back with the side of the desk. I cried out in pain and that caused Ryan to turn towards me. He got up with his whole body shaking and made his way towards me.

"Emmie. Emmie, I am so sorry," his shaky hand made its way to my cheek. I pulled away, slightly scared of him. His eyes were not emerald anymore. They were scorching hazel. Ryan held his head in his hands and his face looked as if it were contorted with pain.

"Ryan-" I reached out to him, but he was gone in a flash. He ran out the room and I was there left alone facing the wondering looks and the hatred glare from Brian.

** 

Ryan

Dear god, please make this pain stop! My insides were burning and I felt like the only thing could help me was the forest. Why the hell would the forest help me? I don't know! But when I made it to the crossing, everything fell at ease. Although the pain was still scorching me.

I fell to the ground with my back arched to the sky. The rain started to fall and I just stayed where I was at. Something rippled in me and it caused me to fall on my back. Everything felt wrong.

This wasn't right.

Am I dying?

I stayed where I laid. My insides were still burning me, but it was not as painful as before. I don't know how long I stayed here, but it was awhile since it was now night. The stars were shining like the night I had asked Emery to prom.

Emery.

I can't believe I had hurt her. Idiot. How can I protect her if I can't even protect her from myself?

I turned my head once a noise came from the right side of the woods. It was a dark figure, but their eyes were clear blue.

Ryan, some voice spoke in my mind. It's okay, Ryan.

And once those three words were spoken, pain shot through me. I can hear crackling sounds and I screamed in agony. My body twisted in all weird angles and I saw the figure step closer to me.

"P-p-please," my hand reach towards the stranger. Make it stop, I said in my head.

It'll be over soon, the voice spoke in my head again. The voice was comforting and I believed whoever it was. And just like that it was over.

The figure stepped closer and my eyes bulged in shock.

"Welcome to the pack, man."