⊰❉⊱ 5 ⊰❉⊱

Our lead turned into much more than civil questioning.

A thirty minute police pursuit later and an armed unit raid got us the credibility we needed for this case to get a bigger budget. The small problem remained that I was shot by a mortal at point blank range in that foul smelling apartment. The mortal stared down the barrel of that handgun and watched the bullet casing fall off my skin like it would on stone.

Easily dismissed to anyone questioning inside the station. It was a criminal's word against mine–if he even got one before being slammed with charges on assault, smuggling and attempted murder. Still... I despised any kind of visibility. As did Paragon.

Forensics teams swept in force as night descended around the block of flats. There had been casualties. Our officers were rarely given clearance on authorised kill shots. But given the threat, allowances were made. I stared grimly at the blue and white tape cordoning off the flat.

Will blew on his coffee as he watched men and women in full white suits gather evidence. We leant on the hood of our vehicle.

"Despite the mess, I think Chief will be less likely to grill our asses." He noted as he took a skip and his breath puffed clouds into the cold night.

"What gives you that idea?" I retorted without moving my eyes from a pair of forensics bagging the very gun that would have killed me had I been mortal.

"This was more than just a lead... we hit them right where they didn't want the hit. The cash alone in that block..." He trailed off shaking his head.

Of course they would have firearms around that much gang money. I just didn't expect it to be a damn strong hold. He interrupted my thoughts.

"Why don't you look impressed?"

"Because when you poke a hornet's nest you can expect a strong reaction." I stated flatly.

He raised an eyebrow at me. "They had guns on us is that not enough–"

"The word is already out. Their money will be moved and their deals will be harder to track. Our job essentially just got more difficult." I sighed as I turned my head to the moon peaking behind numerous clouds above.

He chuckled shaking his head. "Only you would consider a good night's work a step towards disaster. We just seized over two hundred grand in criminal assets."

"I account for future possibilities so I can anticipate them. How else would our track record be so good?" I muttered, crossing my arms tightly despite not feeling the cold.

"I think you need to take the rest of the night and relax." He said dryly.

I side eyed him before rolling my eyes. "I'm more productive at night–"

"Nice work you two." A firearms lead spoke clearly over the voices beyond. He dropped us a curt nod still fully equipped in operation gear and a balaclava that only revealed a steely pair of eyes. "Although, next time I recommend clearing a building with known arms before the cavalry arrive."

"I'll let you know if we find any cavalry." Will retorted with a wry smile.

The lead's eyes hardened and he cleared his throat and adjusted the SMG strapped to his side. "I don't want to be responsible for a couple of paper pushers caught in a gun fight. You find the trail and we do the rest, alright detective?" He pressed, not waiting for a response and turning on his heel.

Will's shock quickly turned into exasperation. I was already smiling when he faced me.

"Did you get all of that detective?" I mocked.