⊰❉⊱ 25 ⊰❉⊱

I walked down the impeccable marble hall with a mortal close to my side. A mortal that was staring in wonder at just about everything her eyes fell on.

I could hardly blame her. This place was the result of a surplus of funding without restriction. Airports were often designed to reflect the prosperity of a country–they needed to impress to entice those passing through... it achieved that effect.

I glanced up at a series of new modern chandeliers that sparkled in chrome and crystal finish above us. All the ceilings were so damn high they were like the great stone caves of the far east. 

"I think I'm underdressed." Quinn murmured, with a nervous look at me and my usual formal wear. Others around us were also well adorned...

I chuckled and gave her a deliberately long once over while we walked.

"It's true the mortals here are very focused on image–but the one thing they hold with more importance is wealth." I drawled, looking ahead and watching a couple in pristine designer clothing barely able to look at each other– "As soon as you step outside, the only thing they care about is whether your credit card works." I snorted.

Quinn raised an eyebrow at me with a small smile. "Is that distain I sense?"

"Oh, you noticed." I uttered with a dry smirk. I glanced at those green eyes and she rolled them.

"I would assume the opposite of an immortal. But you seem to rewrite my preconceptions all the time." She murmured.

Yes immortals collecting pretty things and amassing great deals of wealth didn't paint us in the best light. It would be hard to explain to her that the reasons for it all were just attempts to possess more freedom. Many immortals didn't share the same views either way.

We went through another set of glass doors towards the final security checks. I looked sideways at her again in question but she seemed focused on the gates ahead with security checking papers.

"Please tell me–"

"No, Quinn. I would just drag you this far to have you stopped at the gate." I grinned, before flashing her a passport that I had generated on the way here. "I have people for everything." I finished simply before she could ask.

She plucked it from my hand with a sly look.

"What do I owe you?" She asked in a darker tone and a look that suggested so many things.

It took me a moment to focus properly. From the way her entire being could shift into something that was provocative and enticing–I ripped my eyes off her and looked ahead without an answer as we approached the guards behind the glass booths.

Quinn laughed lightly as she went off and passed through the checkpoint with no issues. My own went through seamlessly with a false smile and a wave. She waited for me on the other side with a hand on her hip and a look of mischief.

"I was joking Fletcher..."

"I know it's just–" I sighed and nodded my head forward. We started walking again but she didn't let it go.

"It's just what?" She pressed with that beautiful smile still in place.

"You." I muttered, drawing us past the familiar hallway of many to the place I sought. I felt her eyes on me but she wisely decided not to press her interrogation. We walked for a few more minutes before the clouded glass doors of the corporate lounge were before us. A door man with caramel skin and a fine pressed suit glanced up expectantly.