⊰❉⊱ 11 ⊰❉⊱

The night had the quiet of midwinter in the streets when we left. The distant rumble of tracks overhead and the ocean-like rush of traffic in the distance that never seemed to pause. I matched the stride of the mortal with the warm heart and intoxicating scent beside me.

"What's on the agenda for the rest of your night?" Quinn asked. We walked slower under the dark archway.

I glanced at her. "Probably finding a book and a dark corner." I smirked.

She smiled with an eye roll. "This is exactly why I dragged you out in the first place."

"Why is that?" I inquired, with no small amusement.

"Because I learnt enough from your friends to know that you don't get out much."

I spotted her car waiting under a street light and scanned the surrounding shadows instinctively. Ever since that first night I had the urge to protect the woman from such shadows. A silly thought since she had looked after herself in this city long before me–

"Hey, I didn't mean to offend–" she started, concerned by my silence but I smiled her off.

"No, Quinn. You didn't. I know exactly what you mean. I am a little... different." I remarked, glancing at her bright eyes that lights bounced off. She smiled back at me, her hood down past her loose hair now.

"At least you're not boring." She shrugged as we got closer to her car.

I smiled ahead, taking note of the plate and driver that glanced our way. I was again glad a trustworthy mortal could escort her home.

"I think that's accurate." I noted, moving to the door a little more swiftly than a mortal should and opening it for her. "I think I can say the same of you." She was briefly shocked at the move before nodding slightly flustered.

"Thanks... detective. If you want to come back... for a session some time–"

"I know who to message." I finished for her, meeting those slightly dazed green eyes before closing the door between us.

In honesty I needed to clear my head. Her scent had been driving me crazy all night and I had to grit my teeth on a number of occasions when she had got too close or the air con was a little too efficient in our direction. 

Her car took off down the empty street and back to where ever she lived. I took my phone out and left a note of the number plate. Then slid it back into my pocket and took in a huge gulp of clean air. I let it go without any cloud and closed my eyes briefly.

It was about time I stopped this fleeting interest. It's not like it ended anywhere good. More interest. More discovery. My life would never add up and it would only become more obvious the longer she knew me. The benefit of work colleagues in this country were that they all knew boundaries beyond work. The personal life was an out of bounds section. But to a quick witted mortal like Quinn Adams... The woman had my contact number, work address and coworkers known in days.

My phone vibrated in my pocket and I frowned at it. Pulling it out with a glare.

Will: "Hope you have your sharpshooting on point for tomorrow. Starts at 8:30."

I swore to the sky. The firearms training tomorrow morning had been so far from my mind this week. It was always Will's favourite time of the month and he made it his personal mission to score top tier in the station. This time it was teams of two.

I quickly typed back. "Remind me to use you as future target training."

Will: "That's the spirit. Seriously though Fletcher, I'm not coming second especially with my own damn partner."