⊰❉⊱ 10 ⊰❉⊱

My focus wasn't as sharp on our case as it should have been. My attention catching on that damn mortal and her strangely bright eyes and easy smirks. An odd calmness before suddenly realising herself in the night and feeling the fear of my being touch her.

I didn't remember the hours flying by and that I was highlighting the same line of text in yellow ten times until Will coughed.

He didn't notice my distraction but seemed buried in his own work. I checked my shoulder through the glass wall of our office. Officers and staff continued flitting about.

I dug into my jacket and pulled out that black card with silver print. I watched it glint under the lighting for a few seconds before adding the number into my phone. Ironically I added the contact under the name: The Lawyer

My fingers flashed across the touchscreen quickly writing without sinking too much thought into it. I had after all been thinking of the mortal all damn day.

"Three hours, Miss Adams. Does your work still allow a workout?"

I set the phone down and stared blankly at my computer screen. Into the profile of a known dealer and seeing straight through it. My phone flashed alive.

"Sorry I don't respond to unknown numbers."

I drummed my fingers on my desk rereading Quinn's response and shaking my head.

"Apologies, I thought I was speaking to a professional. Everyone makes mistakes."

I could practically see her grinning at her sleek desk now. I couldn't even hide the smirk now. Her response was quick like her wit.

"Remind me why I shouldn't give out my card like this. You never know when they'll interrupt your day."

"5pm is hardly crunch time."

"In your world, detective."

I spun the phone around my hand with a smile. Before stopping it and rereading her words again.

"Remember you invited me tonight."

There was a slight pause in response as she either thought through her words or mine. I smirked at the glass.

"You'll like it."

"Perhaps. Let's hope I am prepared to catch the weight if it's too much for you."

"Don't be late." Was all she responded.

I left it at that. Staring at the green bubble of text. Not a second late. I never was.

"Fletcher?" Will asked with a curious look.

"Yeah?" I answered, leaning back in my chair and trying to tear my attention away.

"You have any fake plans tonight?"

I smirked slowly. "Real ones actually."

He looked at me doubtful, "Either you're getting better at lying or your mysterious family are in town."

"No, William. I'm meeting a friend to go to a gym." I answered, picking up a pen and writing nothing.

He raised a brow and contemplated this.

"Well—good for you Fletch." He chuckled, leaning over the desk. "I guess me and Jamie will have a pint for you."

"Please do." I chuckled.

The rest of the evening slipped by soon enough. I managed to stare at more paperwork and get absolutely nothing productive done. When it reached 6pm a lot of the office had emptied. Including my curious partner who nodded at me before leaving.