⊰❉⊱ 40 ⊰❉⊱

"At the end of the day it's about how much you can bear, how much you can endure. Being together, we harm nobody; being apart, we extinguish ourselves." 
― Tabitha Suzuma

Quinn pulled Aiko's soup boxes off her lap as we touched the tarmac of the airport. She had insisted we had good food on our travels or she would not sleep soundly. We had bowed and said our goodbyes as well as we could. But I knew the phone call would come.

It rang in my pocket as we ascended the stairs of the jet.

"Get some sleep, Quinn. You'll need it for the next 24 hours." I told her ahead of me as the engines hummed to life and the wind picked up in the night.

She did not protest and I knew she craved it. She threw me a nod and slightly curious look as I took the phone out and pressed it to my ear.

"London."

I froze on the stairs as the brisk air whipped around my dark hair. The collar of my jacket scrapped my cheeks as I watched Quinn pass through the door and be greeted by staff.

"Is that an issue?" The operator inquired calmly, after my pause.

"That's–unexpected. My leave caused a stir." I remarked slowly, thinking of all the headlines, the bodies, the fire left in the wake of that tragic accident. I couldn't be seen in public so soon–

"That has been handled. This way you can return the mortal and business can be carried forward."

I tripped on a metal stair before the doorway and a steward rushed forward to assist me. I threw out a hand and waved them off. My breathing became uneven. Not only did they know about Quinn's existence in my life–they dismissed her just as quickly. Return her. Like she was no more than a piece of luggage to be disregarded.

"I'm not sure–"

"Is that an issue?" The operator repeated, maddeningly calm once more.

I inhaled through my nose and glanced across the runway as planes launched themselves into the night or approached from the blackness. Make them believe I mean absolutely nothing to you... 

"Does it matter if she's still in one piece?" I retorted bored.

A chuckle sounded down the end of the line and I rolled my shoulders in disgust.

"Not our concern. Get her out the way and we can discuss our asset's details at leisure."

"Acknowledged." I stated calmly.

"Splendid. Will be in touch."

The line went dead.

I snapped the phone in my hand and launched it out into the night. I didn't care which direction. Only that the insidious voice and implication of those words were far from my touch.

"Fletcher?"

I flinched and glanced up at Quinn who watched me with concern written on a frown. I flexed my jaw and shook my head, taking the stairs two at a time. I took her elbow in my hand and pulled her briskly through the plane.

"Shall we prepare for depart–"

"Yes." I grunted behind me in the stewards general direction. Manners were at the back of my mind. Quinn didn't fail to notice it and threw the staff a polite smile.

I threw the door open and released Quinn quickly. She stumbled forward and whirled on me with something closer to a glare now. I kicked the door shut with my heel and paced before her.