⊰❉⊱ 28 ⊰❉⊱

Once Quinn and her many new purchases were stowed on the plane, my pilot conducted final checks and brought us into a move. If his estimations were still correct the next refuel would be in six and a half hours. Then only a few more to the final stop. I drummed my fingers impatiently as we rolled along the tarmac waiting for clearance. Then listened to the steadily climbing pulse of the mortal in the seat across the aisle.

I tipped my head in her direction and saw she focused intently on the seams of her new dark, high sleeved shirt.

"Quinn."

Her gaze snapped to mine as if ripped away from deeper thoughts.

"Need a drink?"

She dropped me a small nod and released a shallow breath. I flagged down an attendant with a hand raise and ordered her usual. When the well dressed blonde returned she gave a warm smile of assurance and gave it back directly to Quinn.

"Thank you." She murmured, meeting the woman's eyes like it was a life raft and not hard liquor and tonic. I fought a smirk and lost.

"Nolo contendere." I stated ahead of me.

The ice clinked in her glass as she watched the airport move outside her window, "No contest. It has the same effect as the plea of guilty." She answered with a small smile around her drink.

"I think we can both decide that we know our terms." I drawled, watching the side of her tan face. She took a deeper sip as we approached the final runway.

"Congratulations, you still wouldn't be employed as a lawyer." She deadpanned.

I raised an eyebrow with amusement. "And why is that, Adams?"

She finally met my eyes with those bright green and no hesitation. "No law firm would take on a person with detective on their CV."

This made me chuckle. "I have no CV."

"Then how do you..." She trailed off shaking her head. "Never mind, I don't need to know."

"The same people that get me across the world without a trace." I answered her anyway.

She seemed ready to speak but the engines kicked in that moment and the force pushed her against the seat and gripping the armrest with her free hand. I continued watching her closely ready to move if necessary but she seemed adamant to ride this one out herself.

"Small breath in, slow breath out." I told her calmly.

We raced faster and I felt the moment the jet pulled off the earth below. She shut her eyes tightly and all but forgot about the drink in her hand. I slipped out of my seat unwillingly to watch her fear any longer. I took the glass from her hand smoothly and replaced it with my hand. Her body tensed briefly but she opened her eyes to meet mine intently.

The wind shuddered against the wings briefly and she clenched harder against the unbreakable skin of my hand. A few more minutes of the rise progressed until we levelled out and the winds calmed. She released a long breath before leaning back into the chair heavily. I released her, suddenly aware of that gloriously sweet blood a little too much.

"Ms Fletcher?"

I tore my focus from her and rose to the aisle. The smartly dressed mortal paced towards me holding a satellite phone in her hand. I frowned deeply, hearing her pulse increase under my glare. "A call for you." She said simply. She need not say more. There was only one group of beings that knew how to contact me when I was on the move now.