⊰❉⊱ 29 ⊰❉⊱

I was nothing if not thorough in my life and my work.

Which is exactly why I had a hired team watching over Quinn's every move the moment she would step through the hotel doors outside the car. She cast me a flash of concern but none of it was for herself.

"Remind me you are bulletproof."

"I'm bulletproof." I confirmed with a slow smile.

She nodded and cast a wary look outside the tinted window as if assailants would suddenly descend. I placed a hand over hers and caught her attention. When she opened her hand I slipped a platinum card into it.

"Anything you need." I nodded down to it.

"I need a call from you as soon as you can–or I'm taking the jet." She threatened.

I chuckled and opened the door to step into the humid air. I moved swiftly to her side and opened it. She slipped her ray bans over her eyes and refused to take her eyes off me.

"I'm quite fond of you, Fletcher." She deadpanned. "Make sure your work goes well."

I dipped close to her suddenly and felt the shudder before my lips came near her ear.

"You realise you just asked me to kill mortals faster, yes?" I murmured.

She didn't back down. She pulled a hand up to the back of my neck surprising and freezing me in place to kiss the side of my cheek. The fire that ripped through me was indescribable but so was the feeling of elation. A strange electric cocktail of bright energy. She drew back without another word and walked off in the direction of the lobby doors. A man opened them to her with a nod.

I shook myself out of the stupor and slipped back into the dark vehicle.

I uploaded the blue GPS signal to the driver and we raced through the hot darkening streets for the immortal. The city had changed much and not at all in the years passed. Animals still carted goods and people but smart phones and fast cars dotted around the streets. A strange collision of sudden capitalism and the old ways struggling for purchase amount the people.

The sun had dropped beneath the buildings when we arrived in the run down edges of the city. No mortal in their right mind walked alone in these streets. Would never dare to drive through in a car like this. But I was no mortal.

I thanked the driver with a murmur and stepped out into the warm night. A few distant street lights flicked in dusty orange. I heard the rattle of music in apartments above. Voices whispered in rushed Hindi. I smiled as the mortals decided whether or not they would use the broken bottle to attempt a robbery.

I walked with quick strides and crossed the street blocking out their indecision.

A shop with neon blue glowed offering second hand electronics. A drunk slurred and spat outside it before saluting my shadow with the bottle. The earlier whispers drew closer. I sighed through my nose hoping they would leave me to find the Paragon member in peace.

But before I could whirl on them I heard a snap.

I watched a body drop to the ground crossing the road mid stride. His companion screamed and stumbled away from the shadow that lowered his hands.

"Road accidents are known to be bad in this country." A male voice drawled.

"William." I noted, watching in disgust as he flexed his gloved fingers and stepped over the dead mortal like a sack of grain fell in his path. "Let's not make this any more difficult than it needs to be." I almost growled.