8th Chapter ♣ Entrance Exam

Emma Stone as Courtney, picture above

"A dueling system has been long applied to the academy's ways. If you are challenged to a fight, will you accept?"

CHAPTER EIGHT ♣ ENTRANCE EXAM

They arrived in front of an elegantly carved wooden door. Corvan clamped a hand over the brass knob and revealed the entrance. He stepped aside and made way for Valeriana to pass, which she did so with slight hesitance.

Once she slipped through the doorway, she found a long table that took the shape of a crescent moon. People sat behind it, waiting quite impatiently and silently. Seraphina was present as well.

Valeriana scanned the room nervously when her eyes met with someone else's. The girl didn't look too pleased to see her, raking her fingers through her long, auburn locks. If she didn't carry herself with such air of regality and sophistication, she would've probably spat on the ground.

The human girl broke the staring contest and turned to Seraphina for help. She was given a reassuring smile in return.

"We've been waiting, Miss Kerrigan. You and Lord Corvan were running late."

"Nothing we can do about that now. We will commence this special entrance exam."

"I assume you have questions before we begin?" Someone said.

"Uh . . . yes. Isn't an entrance exam supposed to be a written one?"

One of them laughed at her. "Not every exam is written, young one. Seeing as the Court Leader recommended you to take up the Celeste's course training, you will be placed in the Knight's Wing to join with the other students under the same program. If you were to be placed in the Development Department, then yes, we would've given you a written assessment, but since a knight's work is all physical, we will need something physical from you as well."

"Um . . ."

"Well, then, what don't you show us what you can do?"

Crap! Valeriana said in her mind. I don't know what to do at all! Nobody even told me about this!

"Remember, Valeriana. Once you fail this entrance exam, you'll go straight to you-know-what." Valeriana gasped at the familiarity of the voice and dragged her eyes towards its direction. Her eyes widened once she realized that Lord Aeron had made himself at home in one of the seats.

"What are you doing here?"

"I came to watch, of course."

She started to panic internally.

"W-what exactly am I supposed to do?" she asked.

"Anything." One man answered. "Do you have any special skills holding a weapon? A bow, perhaps? How about a spear?"

"N-not really."

"Then what can you do?"

Cold sweat soaked her back and she unknowingly wiped off the perspiration on her brow.

A few minutes into silence and she still could not think of anything. She wasn't well-versed in anything physical. She did recall being quite good in bowling, but that was hardly useful.

"Alright!" A man exclaimed. "This obviously isn't working. We are wasting our time."

"And so we go to the second resort!" Lord Aeron exclaimed, his smile as wide as open arms. "Courtney, come forward!"