29th Chapter ♣ Exercises

"Aetheria—second to the smallest continent, but never the less. Ran by the Nevans with Lord Rowe as the head of the family."

Chapter Twenty-Nine  Exercises

Corvan marched towards the door to his room within the Celestial Twelve's dormitories and entered in brusquely, slamming it shut behind him as soon as he set foot within the snug sanctuary. He allowed his eyes to scan over the luxuriously decorated bedroom quarters once before he sunk within the arms of his favorite fireside chair and sighed. Tossing the book he took from the library onto a small table a few steps away from him, he disinterestedly watched it soar. The pages fluttered as it spun, but closed shut as it landed perfectly on its back to the spot where the first-ranker aimed for. He lost the desire and patience to read through it after meeting Valeriana.

His emerald green eyes were dangerously dark at the moment so he decided to close them and massage the area between his eyes to calm himself. He lifted the ankle of his left feet and rested it on his right knee before he leaned back, taking deep calming breath to end the current emotional turmoil he was in.

Why was it that some pesky . . . no that wasn't quite the word that would best describe that girl. Anyhow, she was unbelievably annoying—for the lack of a better word. Why was it she got under his skin so easily when he so effortlessly managed to disregard worse comments made by other people? He was usually composed, expressing his thoughts or annoyance through indifferent remarks yet when she was the one who said it, his anger was never easily restrained.

There was something in Valeriana that riled him up—something that he saw in her when she first came to the academy. At that time she was covered in bizarre clothing, hair almost resembling a bird's nest. She was a messy sight and it was a certain fact that she didn't make the best first impression. Not to mention she knocked him over while running away from a few guards since she apparently broke out of prison.

She looked somewhat displeased to be in that situation. A hint of annoyance, discontentment, and anger expressively riddled her gaze as she looked between the headmaster, Lord Aeron, and all other students whom she caught looking at her. She even dared talk back and lecture him about his attitude after she dragged him with her and forced him to hide in a seriously dark and dirty room.

Sure, he might've acted . . . arrogant somewhat but who wouldn't be in that situation? Despite all his efforts to make her submit, all he could see was defiance glinting in those vivid, azure blue eyes of hers. She also retaliated fearlessly to all his remarks, never minding his position.

She was feisty, headstrong, obstinate, and lively.

When the young lord revealed his status to her, he expected her to cower and apologize needlessly. Yet, contrary to his expectations, she brushed it off without even so much as flinching and even dared insult him. It interested him somehow, and although he would normally subject that person to one of his merciless punishments, her words left a stinging mark inside his brain that he wasn't at all able to open his mouth for a reply.

It annoyed him—that was sort of an understatement but true nonetheless—but annoyance made a keen difference from anger. He was annoyed that he was insulted without any second thoughts by such a . . . such a lowly human like Valeriana.

All his life, people tried to gain his favor by using buttery words because of his status and position. Eventually, he grew distrustful of people who showed him forced, fake smiles and gave him false, dishonest words. To think that someone even had the audacity to tell him off, Corvan couldn't help but laugh at the irony—that the person who should fear him the most was the one standing up to him.