25th Chapter ♣ Charles's Kitchen

"Valemnia has technically seven continents, six of which are under the rule of the noble families. The last is considered the territory of demons."

  ♣  

Chapter Twenty-Five: Charles's Kitchen

After classes, Valeriana was immediately dragged into the meeting room of the Celestial Circle for three reasons—errands, errands, and errands.

Valeriana went over to Corvan, with a pile of heavy books in hand. He was reclining on the sofa with his feet perched on the arms of the chair, ankles crossed. She placed all the books down on the coffee table in front of him.

"Is that everything I asked for?"

"Yes, it's everything you asked for. Doulhette Dunheely, Hampson Jamison, Verhemalon Theodore, and Noulouere Hertioure." Valeriana breathed deeply, mildly exhausted. "You really like reading, don't you? So much you get hit on the head unaware?"

He glared at her, mainly because of what she said and another thing. "There's one thing missing," Corvan said, flipping the book he was reading to the next page.

"What?"

"Dantalion Wisperia. Weapon Handling, volume four."

Valeriana facepalmed and found herself exasperatedly trudging the path back to where she just came from. It was tiresome since it took five minutes by foot to get to where she was.

Sighing, she entered the library, pulling the old and wooden door open which made groaning noises when bothered. Because of her frequent visits, the librarian didn't even need to look up to know she had come back.

"You forgot something, didn't you?" the librarian said in a soft and low voice. Valeriana slightly flinched at her sudden inquiry but stopped at her tracks to answer her question.

The librarian, named Rinda, was working behind her desk at some corner in the library near the entrance. Her wrinkled fingers were noisily working on a few documents in front of her and the round spectacles which framed her wise, brown eyes hang on the tip of her high-bridged nose.

"Yeah, Dantalion Wisperia's Weapon Handling, volume four." She shyly stated, matching how hushed the librarian's voice sounded.

"Lord Corvan."

"That's right."

"As I thought." She sighed. "You don't have to do what they ask you to do. You are no slave."

Valeriana blinked at her comment. "I don't really want to make any more trouble. I don't want the incident with Courtney happening again."

Rinda gave her a once over before tipping her head to the direction of the shelves. "Alright, go on then."

Despite being confused by her sudden interest, Valeriana did not linger and sauntered quietly towards the section of the library where the book she was sent for was put in. She began her search for it quietly, letting her eyes scan through the whole collection of a variety of skill-related books.

"Weasel Hunting . . . aha! Weapon Handling! Volume four! Here it is!" Valeriana grabbed the book from the shelf and stared at it curiously. "What's in these books that Corvan's so interested about?" She muttered.

She hatched the book open and scanned through it, but, unfortunately, she understood nothing in the end.

"There are a variety of cleaving weapons that . . ." Valeriana trailed off as she stared at the following words written down. She skipped the next few sentences since the things being described were beyond her understanding. "There are different crucial points in the body to aim for to ensure . . . death. The heck? So this is basically a manual for killing somebody . . . I never even thought that existed . . ." she muttered, snapping the book close and turning to leave. "Well, I figured Corvan was interested."