16th Chapter ♣ Power Control

"To be Summoned is truly an honor."

CHAPTER SIXTEEN ♣ POWER CONTROL

Chavi and Valeriana strolled past the towering shelves, Valeriana decided to take advantage of the situation and picked up a single book that caught her interest. Chavi was merrily scanning the shelves containing a wide variety of available selections.

"Chavi, what's a summoning?" Valeriana asked, rubbing her chin while examining a thick black book that was kept on a shelf in the History Section. She remembered what Chavi told her about Lady Seraphina being involved in a summoning a while ago.

"There are two kinds of summoning. This kind is like a tasking. It's a huge honor given to a Celeste—missions and all that sort," Chavi explained, snatching a book bound in old leather and opening it to a certain part. Her eyes speedily scanned the page before turning to the next. "The other is demon-related."

She watched Chavi slip the book back in the shelf. "I see."

Chavi backpedaled and sighed exasperatedly. She massaged the bridge of her nose. "You seriously have a lot to learn. Otherwise, if you fail, you'll drop out of the Celestial Twelve, maybe even the school."

"I don't know. Maybe I'll really just quit the Celestial Twelve. I don't need it, to begin with. All I'm here for is to attend the academy," she said.

"What?!" Chavi roared. She grabbed Valeriana by the collar and began shaking her as if it would knock some sense into her. "What in the name of the king are you thinking? Don't you know how crucial being a ranker is? You're even ranking fifth among the Twelve, have a sense of responsibility! No quitting!"

"Sshhh!" An elder lady dressed in a frilly, purple dress put a finger to her lips after coming out from a corner. Her graying hair was tied up into the traditional up do with librarian glasses suspended on the tip of her nose. "When you speak of responsibility, please mind the rules." She then disappeared as fast as she came.

Chavi seized her shoulders and dragged her away. Before Valeriana realized it, she was already shoved down a chair. Chavi took a black book about five inches thick, slammed it on the table before her, and opened it to the very first page.

The girl scanned the first few words and an evident look of relief crossed her face. "It's a good thing this is written in English." Valeriana sighed. "I won't have to struggle too much."

"Yes, well, it's convenient. A much easier mode of communication than the Ancient Language." Chavi pointed to the title of the first chapter and silently asked Valeriana to focus.

"Why does Valemnia have Earth languages?"

"Or rather, why does Earth have Valemnian languages?" Chavi pointed out.

"Huh?"

"English came from us. It's one of the language varieties developed in the Larkovian continent. You do speak a bit weirdly though. It's not same kind of English."

Her eyes shot wide. "Mind-blogger—I mean, mind-boggler. Is that true?"

"The history of human origin has a lot of complications. Never mind." She dismissively said.

Chavi discussed with her the lessons they covered about Valemnia's history. Since remembering historical events wasn't a very good point of hers, she had trouble familiarizing herself with everything written down.

"The first king of Valemnia who sealed the Demon Lord to sleep?" Chavi asked.

Valeriana paused and pondered for a moment. "Uh . . . King Fried . . . erly von Sign-mond de la Rosellevine."