24th Chapter ♣ A Cunning Old Man

"There never seems to be a time when Lord Aeron isn't scheming."

Chapter Twenty-Four ♣  A Cunning Old Man

Lord Aeron flipped back his ash-blond hair as a smile pulled the corners of his lips, revealing a one-sided dimple that added to his charm. Smile lines decorated the corners of his faded blue eyes in contrast to his youthful personality.

Headmaster Kylon watched the Court Leader settle down on the armchair situated in front of the fireplace inside his office, drinking a warm cup of tea. Though he might not look like it, this middle-aged looking man with the common traits of an old, outgoing geezer was currently the second most powerful high-ranking officer whose word was the law aside from the king—even higher than the aristocrats and levels by which his predecessors had reached.

The Court Members were responsible for passing on judgments and verdicts they saw fit. The Court, to be simple, was generally essential when managing Valemnia's peace and order. They could be considered as the third step down from the top.

The Royals, which stood highest, was comprised of the royal family—very much like the way the term was given. The next level consisted of the circle of the aristocratic families that were directly accountable for their own territories.

The Royals down to the aristocrats were primarily a series of hierarchy, while the Court was elective. This gave people of lower status a chance to attend the political affairs of the country while the expected heirs of the next generation were trained hard for self-discipline, responsibility and profound compulsory education as next rulers.

"A very good duel fought. Don't you think, headmaster?" the man said, seeming to have felt the Headmaster's eyes trained to his direction.

"It certainly was,"he agreed, unwilling to be rude. No matter the traits of the old man, he still was a respectable individual. Kylon laced his fingers together as he crossed his legs over the other, resting his hands casually on his lap. "Watching hasn't been very disappointing."

"I would say it's more entertaining," the Court Leader commented, raising the cup to his lips once more. "I saw something peculiar in that child, but I wasn't quite expecting something like this."

"Excuse me. Who?"

"Valeriana," the lord unwittingly answered. "She has the ability to see demons. Very surprising, isn't it? Humans shouldn't even be able to sense their presence at all. I have not found anything significant."

It wasn't the Court Leader to move so slowly.

"Is that the reason why you admitted her to the academy? You went through all of the trouble of convincing the faculty to grant her a special entrance examination. That was the first time you forwarded your plans on your own without asking somebody else to do it."

"As I mentioned before, that girl interests me," the Lord answered simply.

"Excuse me for asking this, but were you the one who asked her to be brought here?"

"Sort of. Even as Court Leader, I wouldn't have that kind of power to legally authorize the permission of bringing a human into Valemnia—unless the whole council gives their consent."

"Did you get the permission from every court members with your incessant pushing?"

"Of course not. But it was an emergency." He paused. "You know how everyone in the council thinks."

"That foolish grin." Kylon breathed. "You're planning something."

Lord Aeron chuckled. "Maybe. But, make sure to call Valeriana over and tell her."

"About what, may I ask?"

"The king himself said he wanted to meet her."

"What? Are you serious?"

"Did I ever kid with you?"

"You always have."

"Then . . . don't doubt me on this."

"When will it be?"

"It's still unconfirmed when, but I'm sure it will happen soon enough."

The headmaster sighed and rubbed his face with his palm. He truly didn't know when the Court Leader was joking or not. Also, he always seemed to have a plan up his sleeve. With his 'old' age, he seemed to have lost interest in the very simplest things in life and began to seek after things that would amuse him.

It seemed to him that the Court Leader thought that the idea of Valeriana meeting the king was entertaining so he pulled a few strings to put that idea into reality. This wasn't just any other old man, that's for sure. But at often times, his schemes did great good or it didn't affect anything at all. The old man was cautious not to get in anyone's way when 'playing', so no one minded him much.

However . . . Kylon could never comprehend what kind of thoughts Lord Aeron had inside his head. He wondered if he would ever understand this man. Also, what exactly would happen if Valeriana did meet the king?

A lot of Valemnians consider the opportunity as rare since most of them pass away without ever getting to see their monarch, however, for Lord Aeron to grant a human such chance . . . what exactly was he thinking?

"By the way, Headmaster." Lord Aeron's voice snapped him out of his thoughts.

"What is it?"

"When are you going to confess to Seraphina? I've already been dying to see how your relationship will go. Seriously, why do youngsters move slowly these days? Can't you just step up and ask her to be your lover? If it were me, I would've."

The Headmaster stared at him, speechless. "There would be no confessions going about!" He almost yelled. "So stop playing matchmaker!"

"Are you sure?"

"I'm sure as hell!" he replied, snarling.

"Don't talk like that, Headmaster. You know that someday you would eat your words." He chuckled.

"I would not!"

"Oh, well. I hope you have heard of the adage, 'Love moves in mysterious ways'."

"Such saying is not related to my life."

As he sat back down to his chair, he heard that low, amused chuckle reverberating in the back of the Court Leader's throat. At that sound, he knew that he was at the losing side of the battle. No matter what he says, Lord Aeron would never stop until everything plays right as his plan goes.

At that moment, he thought, "What a cunning old man."