33rd Chapter ♣ Roaring Tiger

"After successfully graduating, knights join the Celeste Dispatch Division."

Chapter Thirty-Three ♣ Roaring Tiger

Her heart hammered in her chest as she took long, slow steps into the familiar arena. She fought here before against Courtney, but it suddenly felt very large. Its walls looked high and everything seemed so . . . distant.

Valeriana eyed her opponent who was standing with the same smile she last saw on him that day he challenged her. He held a lance over his shoulder, its length probably matching his own height. It consisted of a very long shaft and a blade on the end that resemble the pincers of a crab. It was painted red with an elaborate design on both the shaft and the blade, as if custom-made solely for its user. It looked somewhat heavy despite its thin frame. It was a wonder how he carried it like that as if it didn't weigh anything at all.

He nodded towards her, his grin getting wider. "Give me a good time, will you? I was really bored these past days from the lack of a worthy opponent. Not to mention I had to go through that horrible probation, so you better give me what I want—if not more."

Trying to hide her anxiety, Valeriana drew her weapon and flashed him a small grin of her own. "Exactly how did you even behave?"

"Nah, even though I hate it, I can control myself. I just don't like doing it most of the time.

"Oh, really."

"Anyway," he replied. "Be reminded that I'm looking for a fight worth winning. Lord Corvan gave me quite a past time. He's one of the very few that forced me to use my strongest cards, but in the end, he's just like the many others I fought. I wonder if you're the same?"

"Cocky jerk." She spat. "Underestimate me and it's your loss. Looks like the probation did not teach you any lesson at all."

He shrugged, raking his hands through his midnight blue hair. It had a dark tone, somewhat like the color of a midnight sky decorated with stars—the color of the galaxy. It might look like a shade of black at first, but its color became more evident under the light of the sun. His electric blue eyes matched his hair perfectly.

"Let's shut our mouths," Zion said. "And let our weapons do the talking."

Valeriana frowned, but tightened her grip around the hilt of her weapon nonetheless.

The girl made a mental note to teach him his place—but she doubted that would be easy. Right. More fight, less talk. If she tried saying something that was way over her head, then she would probably be pressured in doing something she couldn't do. She would not take risks.

At least, for now, keep your damn mouth shut, Valeriana.

"The fight will start when the light signal has been launched," said a ceremonious voice.

Lord Aeron raised his hand and pointed it to the sky, letting it linger in the air for a good few seconds before a ball of light shot out from his palms and illuminated the whole area with an eerie glow.

Valeriana circled Zion. She began to size out the place she would be fighting in the next few moments and examined the things that would give her the advantage. Valeriana knew she possessed the ability to win, she just had to play her cards right.

While the girl acted all cautious and wary of her opponent, Zion stood there casually in the same position he was in before the fight even started. He showed no signs of movements or interest in doing anything at all.