Chapter 19: The Kinda Big Decision

"6... how are you feeling?" Carter asks. 

"Um... fine? Why are you asking?" 

"It's just... I feel like you don't have to do this." 

"I'm with him." Jorge said. 

"I made a promise, Carter. I'm not going back on it." 

"If you insist, I guess. Anyway, you're dance is tonight, right?" 

"Ya it- HOLY SHIT IT IS!" I sprint out of the warehouse. I sprint back in and grab the warthog, driving it out. It's tonight! Oh God! I Don't have a suit! ... Okay, I really don't need that. I don't have a date! I don't have a date! Oh God, a date?! What the hell do I do there?! I could ask Cat... nope! That would make everything awkward for us and Carter. How am I gonna get a date if nobody knows my real name?! Actually, nobody really notices anyway. Now I'm wondering why I'm panicking like this... okay, just calm down. I get a call, and it appears on the display in the warthog. I answer it. 

"Hello?" 

"Hey, this is Noble 6, correct?" 

"Um... yeah?"

"Great! I'm Bray Star, the-" 

"Solo rep from Vacuo, yep. Why are you calling?"

"Oh, well, we're gonna meet up at that nearby cafe, care to join us?" 

"Sure. I'll be over in a second." I turn the warthog around, driving to the cafe I think they're talking about. I pull up in front of the small cafe, and I see the three solos walking with each other, chatting. I jump out of the warthog, onto the side walk. 

"Well, it's hard to mistake you for anyone else, I guess." The one I recognize as Nick Grey said. 

"What? You don't see a bunch of nearly seven foot suits of armor walking around?" 

"Can't say I do." Bray said as we walk into the cafe. We take some seats, and we get to talking. Nothing important is said, but I get an idea of what they're like. Bray Star is actually rather soft spoken, but generally kind and caring. Nick Grey is pretty sarcastic, but his witty remarks and charismatic nature makes him a really likable guy. James Colt, however, is distant, barley speaking outside of when he's spoken to. 

"I can't really say this for certain, but I think the Headmasters have a mission prepared for us as a team." Nick said.

"Really? Why?" I ask.

"I don't know. Guess they don't want us on solo missions." He shrugs. 

"Um... okay? Seems weird, but I guess that doesn't matter." 

"I think it'll be fun." Bray said. 

"It'll be hard to work with one another. We've been used to fighting solo." James speaks up. 

"I work with a fire-team." I mention. 

"Interesting. Guess it's in the name, Noble 6." 

"Yup. Anyway, anyone know what our bracket for the tourney is gonna look like?" I ask. 

"Well, I think we have our own individual one, and the two losers face off against each other, and the winner there fights the winner of the main solo bracket. From there the winner goes and fights second place, and that winner fights the first place winner for all the marbles." Bray said. 

"Seems like that's a bit unfair..." Nick points out. 

"For the actual fighters in a team, that is." James speaks up again.