Chapter 13: The Whole Gang

AN: Someone pointed out something to me about the character of Gavin, and I'd like to mention that all similarities between the AI Gavin and the Rooster Teeth employee Gavin Free is PURELY COINCIDENCE. In fact, the name Gavin was a last minute change, his name was actually supposed to be Marvin, but I changed it because Gavin sounded better.

"I had a nice, cushy job as a recruiter lined up, and I gave that all up to help you guys on a different planet!" Jun yells. 

"Look, we're all together now, so how about a celebration?" I suggest. 

"After tomorrow." Carter said. 

"Right, some guy wants to see us?" Jun asks. 

"Headmaster of Beacon, school I go to. Probably just a mission." I say. 

"Right into the deep end." Jun said.

"Well, half a mile away from the deep end for you." Emile said. 

"True." Jun said as he put his sniper on the table. 

"Oh, and don't be alarmed, but we're working with an Elite." I say, and Reha comes down from the rafters and uncloaks. Jun reaches for his Sniper again, but I grab his hand. "He's a friendly, for now." 

"I am Reha 'Sagam." 

"Said he's a turncoat. So let's calm down and settle our differences, here." 

"He'll kill us all in our sleeps!" 

"Realistically, Emile would kill him first." Jorge said.

"Maybe I'll kill you instead." Emile shot back. 

"Guys!" Carter shouts as the two square up to each other. 

"Oh! Rivalry! I've always wanted to see one!" Gavin suddenly said, appearing on his disk. 

"An AI? How dare you try and replace Auntie Dot!" Jun shouts. 

"God, I hope she's doing good." I say. 

"Who is this 'Auntie Dot' you speak of?" Reha asks. 

"She was an AI that assisted us back on Reach." I explain. 

"Interesting. We never had any artificial intelligence with the Covenant. It's a shame, they sound useful." 

"They are. Anywho, we should get some shut eye before our mission." Carter orders. 

"Affirmative." We all say. We all grab a piece of wall and sit down, leaning against it and taking our helmets off. Reha tools around and climbs up the rafters, laying down on one of the intersections with extra metal. 

The morning comes and our alarms blare from our helmets. This is maths normal time I would get up for class, but I was exempt from classes for today. We all get outside, and three trucks are waiting outside. Me and Jorge take one, and the driver goes off to the bullhead ports. 

"Just like old times." Jorge said, inspecting his chain gun. 

"I guess. Normally we take pelicans, but this is good enough." I say, loading extra clips of ammo for my battle rifle. I replaced my magnum with a grenade launcher for some extra power. 

"It must have been hard, seeing us all die in front of your eyes." 

"More than anything." I say, hanging my head. "Jun made it out, I guess." 

"If you need a shoulder, I have two." 

"You've always had my back, Jorge. That won't change anytime soon." I say. We arrive at the ports and we all hop on one, flying up. It's mostly silent, as we're preparing. We arrive at the school, and walk into the main building. The moment we enter, an announcement comes on.