Chapter 17

I don't know how much time passed but when I woke up I was alone and  the light was peeking around the cardboard and cloth that was covering the window. I tried to move but realized my hands were still tied behind me. Every time I moved my wrists were burned with pain. Taking a deep breath and making sure I didn't make any noise, I looked around the room to make sure I was alone. Rolling over on one side, I looked around and was very thankful that I was alone. I needed to stay quiet and poke around to look for a way to get out of here. 

I took a deep breath and brought my knees up to my chest. I gritted my teeth through the pain and wiggled my arms down my back, trying to get my hands in front of me. I could feel the wetness of blood from the cuts of my wrist but I kept wiggling until my hands finally slipped down far enough for me to move them to my front. 

"Ouch," I said as I finally looked at my wrists. I was right when I said they were bleeding and it was clear the handcuffs had been on my wrists for a while because there was dry blood mixed with the new blood. I couldn't focus on that now, I needed to focus on trying to find a way out of here. 

I sat up slowly and placed my feet on the carpet. I stood up quickly, unsure of how much time I'd have before I was found and I became lightheaded from standing too quickly. I threw my hand out, looking for something to hold on to so I didn't fall but my hand smacked against a lamp next to the bed. I moved and grabbed it quickly before it fell. I held it in my arms, waiting for either Mike or Brandon to burst through the door but they didn't. I took a deep breath and silently placed the lamp back on the side table. 

I moved over to the window next, moving the blanket out of the way and peeling the corner of the cardboard back. All I could see was trees but I could hear voices of people talking... and they weren't male voices, telling me it wasn't Mike or Brandon. I pulled back the cardboard more so I could see outside and I instantly saw the college in the distance. I was probably three blocks away from school, telling me that if I got out of here I'd be fine. 

"Do you think she's awake yet," Brandon's voice spoke from the other side of the door. I ran to the bed and laid back down, stomach down with my hands as far under me as I could get them. I hoped they would think I was sleeping still and wouldn't notice that my hands were in front of me and not behind me. 

I heard the door open behind me but I didn't hear footsteps, telling me they hadn't come into the room. I was doing my best to breathe normally but my over-beating heart that was beating like a drum in my ears was going to be the thing that gave me away. 

"Brooke?" I heard Mike speak my name softly and I just closed my eyes tighter together, not wanting to give myself away in any way. 

"Can you hear me, Davis, are you alright?" I heard footsteps and felt my heart rate increase. The door closed and I couldn't hold still any longer. I moved my head slowly in the other direction, Mike's direction and he stopped walking as soon as he saw my face. 

Mike's eyes scanned my face, telling me I looked awful but I didn't show him that I was scared or bothered my him being close to me. I blinked and it was like the force pushed Mike back because he closed his eyes and took a step back. 

"I'm sorry for what Brandon did to you. It was never my intention for things to get this bad or physical like this in any way. Brandon's left, needing to cool off. Can you sit up?" I blinked a few times but didn't move, unsure if his kind voice was a trick or not. He took a step in my direction when I didn't do as he said. I sat up quickly and placed my feet on the floor, not wanting him to hit me or touch me. He stopped moving as soon as I did and waited to see what I was going to do. 

"Are you not speaking me to now?" I looked away from him eyes, hoping that he understood my answer. 

"You'll have to speak at some time, Brooke. Brandon won't take your silence for very long."