Chapter 23

Susan linked her arm with mine and pulled me carefully into her house. I knew she and Brian wouldn't hurt me but having people I didn't know touch me was more than I was ready for.

Just then a million things ran through my head all at once, all of them having to do with a handsome stranger I hadn't seen in two days. Why hadn't he come back to see me? Why did he stay for four days and then just disappear after telling me he'd be back? Did he care at all? Of course he didn't care. I'm nothing to him. I'm sure he didn't want to see me die and he'd been thankful that I'd awaken. He just wanted to make sure I was better before he ran back to him perfect like that I'm sure had a perfect girlfriend in it.

"Davis, dear are you alright?" Susan asked me and I realized we weren't moving anymore. We were stopped on her front porch just outside her front door. I'm sure it looked like I didn't want to go into their house when the truth was I'd just gotten distracted.

"Yes, I'm sorry. I was just thinking about a hundred things all at once and lost where I was." I patted Susan's arm that was still linked with mine and allowed her to pull me into the house. As I walked in, I noticed so many things. It smelled of apple pie and love. The furniture didn't match and wasn't new but was still nice. It was lived in and that made me smile. Growing up I'd have one of those living rooms with furniture that you didn't sit on or use unless the President himself was coming to your house. Needless to say, this wasn't that kind of house and I was thankful.

"I know it's nothing fancy, but-" Brian spoke and I interrupted him immediately.

"It's perfect. Everything is perfect. Thank you again. I don't want to impose on either of you, so if you just want to show me to my room I'll let you get back to whatever you were doing before I came."

"I'll show you to your room but Brian and I were just about to eat dinner. Would you like to join us?"

"Oh, I don't want to be a bother."

"Now you listen here. We offered to take you into our home and in doing so,offered you everything we have here. We aren't asking for you to do anything for us in return. Well, we may ask you to do the dishes or take out the garbage every now and then but you aren't to feel bad about anything we give you. Our kids are grown and gone, leaving Susan with only me to mother so you being here will help me." Brian's playful words made me genuinely smile and I felt much more relaxed.

"I'll gladly help out anyway that I can. I don't want you to think I'm take advantage of your generosity and I do plan on getting a job. I'll pay rent and give you money for food. You won't know I'm here. I promise I won't be trouble." I was rambling but I looked at them only to see smiled.

"You will do no such thing and you'll stay here rent free until you have a plan, money saved and all of this mess is over. We won't let anyone hurt you, dear." Susan pulled me into her arms and even though I stiffened for a moment, she didn't let me go. I slowly returned the hug and before I knew it, I'd broken down and started sobbing on her shoulder.

"Oh no, don't cry. I can't take it when women cry," Brian said as he quickly left the room. Susan giggled but didn't let me go.

"If you ever want to clear him out of a room, all you have to do is cry or mention my mother. Both things he hates equally." Susan let me cry and then showed me up to my room. She helped me put my clothes away in the dresser and closet. I was suddenly very thankful that Mary hadn't thrown my things out. It was going to be nice to have my own things again.

"So, do you know what your plans are for tomorrow, dear?" Susan asked me with a strange smile.

"I-um. Well I don't know. I was going to look for work. I can't stand the thought of having nothing to do all day."