Chapter 29

The brightness against my eyes made me press them harder together, hoping someone would just close the blinds and let me sleep more. I felt so tired and sore. I just wanted to sleep.

"Davis?" A soft voice said and I groaned, trying to roll over. Something pinched at my arm and I stopped, opening my eyes to look down and see what it was. Susan and Brian were sitting next to the bed watching me carefully.

"Hey," I said with a smile but neither of them smiled back. I frowned and Susan reached out to take my hand.

"Sweetheart, how do you feel?" Brian didn't move as Susan scooted closer to me. I watched him carefully, unsure why he was acting that way.

"I'm sore and tired but other than that I feel fine. How are you guys? Where are Trevor and Tim?" Brian closed his eyes and Susan looked away from my face. That's why they looked so sad. Tim had obviously decided that this was all too much. I couldn't blame him. I don't know that I'd be able to stay with someone with so much baggage. I mean I put his son in danger and exposed him to so much violence.

I took a deep breath and looked away, not wanting to talk about either Tim or Trevor any longer. They didn't need to acknowledge what I already knew. "So what did the doctor say? How bad am I?"

"It was pretty bad there for the first few weeks, dear. We didn't think you'd pull through." Weeks? How long had I been in here? My eyes went wide and Susan smiled softly and patted my hand.

"It's been three months since the accident, Davis. You were in a medically induced coma for the first month and then after your internal injuries healed they brought you out but you clearly weren't ready to wake up." I really understood why Tim hadn't waited. I felt sick now. He had to explain so much to Trevor all alone. Why his mother was gone and why I wasn't waking up. Seeing me was probably a constant reminder of his mother being killed.

"Wow. I'm uh. I don't know what to say." I closed my eyes and wished I hadn't woken up. When was it my turn to have something good? I hated everything about my life.

"Daddy, I made her a picture at school today. Do you think she'll like it?" The squeak of small shoes stopped and my eyes flashed to the door. A large shadow covered the entrance but no one came in.

"She's going to love it. As soon as she wakes up you'll get to show Davis all the cool pictures you've made her. Come on, buddy. Let's go have dinner with Davis." Tim walked in holding Trevor's hand and when he looked at me whatever was in his arms dropped. Trevor screamed my name and ran to my bed, jumping up and down. Brian smiled and helped him up onto my bed.

"Davis!" Trevor wrapped his arms around me and I hugged him to me tightly. I started to cry and I didn't care that everyone saw me.

"I missed you, buddy. How have you been?" I asked as I held him against me.

"I'm good. I missed you too. You have to look at all of the pictures and stuff I made you at daycare." I released him and he hopped off the bed. I followed his gaze to the other side of the room and as my eyes passed Tim, we locked on each other. He still hadn't moved and was watching me like I wasn't real. I smiled at him and lifted my hand, motioning for him to come closer. He still didn't move and I frowned slightly.

"I'm awake," I said and he flinched like my words smacked him. "What's wrong?" I lowered my had but before he could answer Susan did.

"Tim do you mind if Brian and I take Trevor for some ice cream?"

"I don't want to leave. She just woke up." Brian pouted and crossed his arms like he wasn't going to move. Susan whispered something to him and his eyes grew huge and he moved a second later.