Chapter Twenty Two - Part One

Chapter Twenty Two – Part One

Elizabeth found herself awake at the early hours of dawn, the sun was barely above the horizon and the skies color was still a mixture of orange and red, and the birds were chirping a good-morning tune, but it was still somehow dark. Elizabeth sighed and pushed the covers away from her body and then pushed herself into a sitting position, when she felt comfortable she recovered her legs and pursed her lips to suppress a wince when she realized that she was sore all over, it was a bit weird seeing that she had fallen on the footman, and not straight on the ground.

She winced when she imagined how sore she would have been if she hadn’t fallen on the footman. He must be in pain, she thought biting her lower lip. The physical pain was going to fade away, but the embarrassment that was embedded in her heart was there to stay, she realized, how was she to face her future-in-laws after the humiliation she endured when she fell down? She sighed again when she remembered Williams assuring words last night, he was so confident when he told her that no one was to comment on what had taken place when they arrived.

She had been yearning to see him for the past few months, she had spent endless nights thinking about him, she had spent endless afternoons sitting under their tree remembering all the stuff they had done there, the time were they waded in the lake, or the time he saw her in her worst state after the lunch with Richard. How was it that a lot has happened in such a short duration? She still remembered the thoughts that hunted her before she met William, she was sure that her life had ended then, she was so adamant that her dreams were to stay dreams and her hopes and wishes were to stay just that too.

She wasn’t going to deny the fact that her parents were always by her side. They had let her do whatever she wanted. Her comfort zone was never trespassed, they had left her to her own devises, and she thought she was to stay like this for the rest of her life, she thought she was going to grow into a spinster and stay in her parents country house for the rest of her life. Until, one morning, her mother stormed into her room and informed her that she was going to attend the ball that was going to be thrown upon her well-being.

Her mother had thought she was perfectly fine, she had the right to, because Elizabeth made sure to put a perfect façade in front of her family, but then she would burst into tears and sobs as soon as her head hit the pillow, she’d let go of the emotions she had bottled inside of her during the day. She still remembered the fear that gripped at her heart when she remembered how the ruthless man had attacked her, and it occurred to her that she hadn’t been to a park since then,

She wasn’t whether her family was doing it on purpose.

Her back stiffened as it her square in the face.

 No one had mentioned the word park since then. Her sister Alice, during her last visit, didn’t take her children out to the park so they could enjoy their day, but then again wasn’t there a storm? The children loved going to the park. Who wouldn’t? She herself had enjoyed taking strolls in the park, she would enjoy sitting down with a book in her lap, but she would end up watching the children chasing each other and having a great deal of fun. What about her children? Will she be able to take them to a park? Well if she was to be honest to herself, she only feared stepping into the park that faced her parent’s mansion in Nottingham. She wouldn’t mind going to Hyde Park, or even the park she glimpsed upon their arrival at Devonshire. Upon further inspection, Elizabeth remembered her mother and father stiffening when they passed by the park although it was a good two yards away.

Were her parents afraid she’d have one of her panic attacks if she

 Elizabeth was in a frenzy when the sun was up and shining, she was so absorbed in her thoughts she hadn’t realized that she had been resting her hand over the circular scar on her shoulder blade. It had stung a lot, this bullet had nearly cost her her life, thanking her maker was the only thing Elizabeth was capable of.

Now that she was sitting alone in bed, with only her thoughts to occupy her from growing bored, it dawned on her that no one was going to come and check on her until the next hour and so, they might think that she was really tired and asleep. But there she was, wide awake with nothing to do, and no place to go. She was to stay in the bed for the next week or so, she wasn’t one to stay in bed, she was known to be an early riser and she was known to be up and ready for the day at the early hours of the day.

How was she to stay in bed for the next week? She knew she wasn’t capable of doing so. What was she to do? Stay in bed and read a book? Or even worse, was she expected to occupy herself with needle work? She wasn’t good at it at all, and she always ended up with small dots of blood on the tips of her fingers.

Her thoughts were not doing her any good, they were not but getting her in a foul mood, and she had to do something to occupy her mind from all the pessimistic thoughts, so she decided to go back to sleep, it was still early in the morning and someone was sure to pass by and check on her, and by then she will have someone to talk to and forget about all the things that are worrying her.

***

So this is the first part of chapter twenty-two, I’m sorry for the delay… but I was kind of busy with the vacation and all the outings with my friends and family! :D

Please point out all the errors and mistakes!

Vote & comment

ENJOY MY HUMBLE READERS!!