Chapter Sixteen

Chapter Sixteen

Elizabeth was pacing before her bed, wringing her hands and taking deep breaths. It was finally the day of her engagement ball. In fact she was to go down to the ball room in a couple of minutes. She felt lightheaded and her heart was bound to break out of her chest. Raising a trembling hand she rested it against her bosom in an attempt to calm her frantic heartbeats, but after a moment, Elizabeth realized it was a futile attempt so she quickly resigned into pacing again. At least it made her feel a bit comfortable, she was able to settle her mingled thoughts, and think of positive things instead.

She tried looking at the brighter side, but every time she tried she ended up fretting over the ball all over again. She was worried she'd screw up and fail William and her family, or even worse! She was scared to trip down the stairs while descending. She was clumsy after all. Taking yet another deep breath Elizabeth released it when she stood in front of the mirror for the tenth time. She looked pretty. Her sapphire eyes were prominent and the dress was brilliantly designed. It hugged her body in all the right places, defining her curves and showing all the curves in her body. Her hair was neatly styled above her head, half of her hair was pulled up and pinned with her favorite pins and the rest of her hair was left down tickling her neck.

"It's time to go, my lady." Kate announced peeking her head inside the bedchamber and startling an already nervous Elizabeth.

"Already?" Elizabeth muttered brushing her gown with her palms. "Did all the guests arrive?" she asked trying to gain a couple of minutes to calm her nerves but she knew that her nerves won't be calmed even if she had the time of the world. Sighing, she hitched her gown and walked out of her bedchambers with her shoulders straight and chin held high.

The walk to the flight of stairs took a couple of moments but Elizabeth felt like it was taking her ages to reach the top of the stairs and when she finally reached them the events of the past week flashed before her eyes. She and Emily became good friends and the dowager duchess was treating her well too. She felt part of the Seddon's family already and that thought was enough to bring a smile upon her solemn expression and she was glad it did because she felt so out of place when she wore her tranquil expression upon her face, and it was an important day for her.

When the voices started becoming louder and clearer Elizabeth snapped out of her thoughts and concentrated on the task before her. Her smile broadened when the voices become so clear, these people came all the way to Nottingham to attend her engagement ball; surely they didn't mean to insult her or to make fun of her, she reminded herself. But her thoughts came to a halt and her body stiffened when she finally stood on the first step of the last flight of stairs. They were all standing in the foyer waiting for her arrival and she stood rooted to her spot. Silence filled the foyer but whispers and murmurs erupted moments later and filled the agonizing silence.

Elizabeth quickly searched the crowd for William and it took her just a couple of seconds to spot him. She held her breath when she spotted him making his way through the parting crowd before him, his eyes met hers in an instant and he offered her one of his dazzling smiles. She felt lightheaded once again, she couldn't believe her eyes, he was actually hers and she was actually his. They were for each other.

As simple as that.

He looked devilishly handsome when he stood at the bottom of the stairs and waited for her. she took the stairs down one at a time, the smile on her face never wavered, but her hands still shook from excitement and she felt overwhelmed with the emotions that surged through her. the man she was bound to continue her life with stood there waiting for her. his eyes never left hers and she felt confidant, content and happy then and there. She radiated with happiness when she finally reached him and took his stretched arm. But hew was quick to take his hand in his and place a tender, sweet kiss on her gloved hand with their eyes still boring into one another. They only had eyes for each other and their surroundings vanished around them.

"Beautiful." William whispered in her ear as she took the last step and stood next to him. She couldn't stop the blush from flushing her cheeks nor could she stop her thundering heartbeats. She took the compliment to heart and she felt flattered. "Breathtaking too." He added when her noticed her blush. Elizabeth merely nodded before they started walking through the crowd smiling when they received a couple of cheers from the crowd. They stopped to talk to a couple of aqauintances too and soon Elizabeth forgot all about her worries and focused on the wonderful night and the handsome man standing by her side.

After what seemed like an hour Elizabeth felt lightheaded for the third time this night and William noticed so he hurled them into a one of the chairs and helped Elizabeth down, he snatched a glass of champagne from one of the trays the servants held and gave it to Elizabeth to calm her raging nerves, and thankfully it did. She quickly tried assuring him when she noticed the worried expression etched upon his face. "I'm better now." She said pushing herself to her feet and putting the empty glass of champagne on one of the tables. "Truly." She added when the worried expression on Williams face didn't waver instead Elizabeth was sure it became even more prominent.

"When you feel tired again, you'll tell me Elizabeth." William said,it was more like an order but Elizabeth ignored the thought when she realized he was waiting for her to promise him, and that she did.

"I promise." She mumbled resting her hand on his arm as they made their way to the crowd. "Would you like to dance?" she asked when she realized that the waltz was next and she desperately wanted to join on the dance floor, for it had been a long time that she participated it the dancing during the previous balls.

"My pleasure." William slowly made his way to the dance floor with Elizabeth clinging to his arm, and when he stopped he rested his hands on her waist and she on his shoulders, and when the music started they started dancing taking the right steps one at a time. Their eyes bore to one another, and their surroundings solely vanished and it was them and the music only.

Elizabeth tightened her hold on his shoulders when she felt William squeeze lightly on her waist, and when he inched closer to her and dipped his head next to hers her breath hitched and she forgot how to breath. His warm breath was fanning the delicate spot under her ear and when he whispered in her ear, his voice made wonder ti her body, sending goosebumps all over her. from head to toe.

"Did I mention how beautiful you look tonight?"

"You did." Elizabeth whispered, she barely recognized her own voice when she did. "A couple of times too." She added clearing her throat.

"I haven't met that Henry of yours yet." He whispered smiling when he felt her stiffen against him.

"I haven't spotted him yet, when I do ill introduce you to him." She promised smiling.

"Ill be waiting." William teased loosening his arms around him when the dance came to a end. "Lets go fetch something to eat, I'm famished." William muttered before pushing himself away and offering his arm for her to take. Elizabeth quickly slipped her hand on his arm and started walking beside him, her eyes searching the crowd for a familiar black headed man.

"Do you want something to drink?" William asked as he stopped in front of the refreshment table.

"No, thank you." She answered patting her dress with the palm of her hands, her eyes still searching the crowd, and she sighed when she finally found the man she was searching for. "There." She exclaimed quickly gaining William attention. "William, I found Henry."

"you did? Splendid, you'll introduce me to him when I get a glass of wine." William replied rushing to one of the tables and snatching a glass of red wine. He quickly made his way back to Elizabeth's side and took a small sip. "Lead the way." He teased.

--

I'M REALLY SORRY FOR THE SHORT CHAPTER! BUT I'M REALLY BUSY WITH UNIVERSITY! I MADE NEW FREINDS :3 ANW, I'LL UPDATE TOMOROW TOO BECAUSE I'M STAYING HOME! UNTIL THEN.. ENJOY READING MY HUMBLE READERS!

PLEASE POINT OUT ALL THE ERRORS AND GRAMMATICAL MISTAKES!

-ROSE