Chapter Seventeen

Chapter Seventeen

Confidently, Elizabeth walked by Williams side. Her shoulders were set straight and her chin was held up as she passed the guests and walked towards Henry, her childhood crush. She took another deep breath when they had a couple of feet to reach where her was standing. "That's him." she muttered before they came into a halt in front of Henry. "Good afternoon gentlemen." she greeted the other men standing with Henry and then fixed her eyes on him. "Henry, its been such a long time since I saw you. How are you doing? I hope you're enjoying your time." she blurted as she stared at his face.

"Ellie! I was just going to fetch a drink and then talk to you. We have a lot to catch up with, don't we?" he asked briefly glancing at William to emphasize his point. "I gather this is your betrothed?" he added smiling softly at her.

"Oh yes!" she exclaimed squeezing Williams arm as she proceeded. "This is William, my betrothed. William, this is Henry, a childhood friend." She introduced both gentlemen with a soft gesture.

"Its a pleasure to finally meet you. I was wondering who the lucky guy was when I received the invitation. Your name was familiar but then when I saw you I remembered you. We've met on severally occasions a couple of years ago. Do you recall?" Henry asked fixing his gaze on William.

"I don't." William muttered furrowing his eyebrows as he tried remembering but ended up with nothing. "I'm sorry, I really don't." he added nodding curtly.

"Oh never mind then. Ellie, you've grown into a lovely woman, my sister should see you, believe me she wont recognize you." he exclaimed. "I should take my leave now, ill see you again later this week. Ill make sure to pass by." Henry said placing a kiss on her hand. "Take care of her." Henry said staring at William, her then turned around and took his departure.

"Seeing Henry reminds me of my childhood." Elizabeth muttered as they walked back to the dance floor.

"I'm glad it does." William commented smiling down at her.

"And why is that?" she asked raising an eyebrow.

"Because the smile hasn't left your face from the moment you saw Henry." he replied squeezing her hand.

"It did?" she said trying her best to stop smiling only to end up with a wider one. "Oh I would admit it. I'm so happy today. I feel special and confident." she blurted covering her mouth with the back of her hand.

"Special?" William teased as they stopped in the center of the dance floor.

"Yes. Special."

"Care to explain?" he asked pulling her closer when the music started. He stared into her sapphire eyes as she stared back. Their gazes held. Locked. Embraced.

"You look beautiful." William muttered for the hundredth time. "Have I mentioned this before?"

"Yes, you did!" she mumbled giggling as she wrapped her arms around his neck. "I lost count too." she added timidly pulling him closer. "But id like to hear you say it again." she muttered smiling softly at him.

"You look beautiful." William mumbled smiling when she giggled in delight.

They finished dancing and then William leaved her side for a second and then came back with a glass of champagne in a hand and a small spoon in another. He held the champagne in front of him and grabbed every ones attention by the sound of the cluttering of the spoon against the delicate glass of the flute. "May I have your attention?" he shouted when a couple of mummers were still heard, and when the voices seized into silence he cleared his throat. "Tonight, as you all know, lady Elizabeth and I are to announce our engagement to the town. We haven't started on good terms but then again we didn't know that we were for each other." he started,clearing his throat yet again and gesturing for a servant to take the glass of champagne and spoon from him.