Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight

The prude words were hunting Elizabeth's thoughts as she made her way to the lake, her dress was covered with dirt from all the times she tripped and her vision was blurred from all the unshed tears.

Ruined.

But she wasn't! Then why was she that disturbed and annoyed? She bit down on her lower trembling lip when she saw her favorite oak tree in the distance. How much she yearned to reach it and lie under it without a care, how much she yearned to close her eyes and let her tears run freely down her cheeks without anyone telling her to stop.

The walk to the tree felt so long, her legs where burning from all the falls and her elbows stung from the small scratches she gained when she passed by a branch with removing it from her way, but all the pain was forgotten when she found herself standing in the shadows of her favorite tree. Without giving it a second thought she knelt down and then lied down on her back but not before removing the pins that held her bun.

She laid there staring at the blue sky with bloodshot eyes, her hair was sprawled around her and her salty tears were running freely down her flushed face and soon enough sobs erupted from her trembling lips.

"How stupid I was to believe that I could get over that night." She whispered biting down on her lower lip. She really was the talk of the town! She was still being talked of and it won't stop anytime soon, the thought of being married was now nonexistent for Elizabeth, she wasn't willing to marry even if suitors came knocking on her door, even if she were to become the last debutante.

But what of William? She pursed her lips bringing a hand to cover her eyes from frustration, she didn't know what to do. On an early winter day the previous year, much like this one, Elizabeth had been attending gatherings, small balls and visiting her sister, she never imagined her life to take a full turn upon visiting her sister- oh how she regretted ignoring her mother when she told her to stay home and visit with her the next day instead, but if it weren't for that night she wouldn't have met William at the ball that was thrown for her wellbeing.

Fate was cruel.

On one hand she wished that night never occurred, she wished she never experienced such a night in her lifetime. But on the other, she was glad she met William although their first encounter wasn't on good terms. She sighed shaking her head, her tears had dried but she was still a little emotional and her heart was still racing even when she was resting, she looked to her right and stared at the spot next to her and she quickly remembered the day where William sat next to her and promised her to help her out of her misery, and helping her he was, he was always trying his best to help her get over her past and he was always there to give her a hand.

"Elizabeth." Her head snapped towards the voice and the tears quickly returned as she stared at his disheveled state, although this time they were tears of mirth. Him standing across from her, only mere feet away, only proved her thoughts correct.

"William." She whispered back standing up on wobbly legs. "You -you have blood on your shirt." She said surprised as she eyed his face and that's when her eyes rested on his swollen lip and the dried blood under his nose. William didn't answer her, instead he made his way towards her and gathered her in his arms, tightening his arms around her narrow waist when she laced her arms around his neck.

"Are you okay?" He asked resting his chin on the top of her head and taking a deep breath when her smell engulfed his senses.

"I-I'm fine- are you okay?" She asked burying her face in his chest. "Did- did you hit him?" She whispered closing her eyes.

"Yes." He answered pulling away slightly to stare at her face. "Yes I did." He repeated meeting her bloodshot eyes.

"Good." She muttered sighing. "He deserves it." She added a small smile playing on her lips. "I regret one thing though."