Chapter 34: A Way Out

Hey! Sorry this chapter took so long. Admittedly I'm not sure why it did, considering last night I wrote this all in about 30 minutes. I've been doing a lot of thinking, and to be honest I have no idea how I'm going to write a sequel for this like everyone wants. If someone, anyone, has an idea- please let me know! It will be great. =) Anyhow, hope you all enjoy. =)

**********************************************************************

Adrianna felt disgusting as she dunked her arm into the large fish tank at her work. It was her day to clean all the tanks, on top of her typical duties of fishing the fish out of the tank if someone wanted to buy them. Sometimes she truly hated working here; she always came home smelling like fish, and not to mention the tediousness of the job. Every day it was the same thing; the only thing that she could hope for was some of the fish getting sick so she could treat them, or having one of the other employees leaving the birdcages open again. If she could use one word to describe her job it would probably be lackluster.

She sighed angrily as one of the fish jumped from the tank, making her have to climb back down the ladder to pick it off the ground. The girl delicately scooped the fish up before climbing back up the ladder, dropping it back in the water expertly. She snatched the sponge from the top of the waterline again and began to scrub the algae off the side of the tank. She blew an errant strand out of her eyes as she noticed one of her coworkers approaching her. He was the last person she wanted to talk to right then. Don't get her wrong, she loved Alex, and he was a good friend; she just didn't want to have any distractions right then.

"Hey Dree," he called up at her. "Having fun yet?"

"No Alex," she muttered back. "I can't say wasting my day away scrubbing fish tanks is fun in any way, shape, or form."

Alex grimaced. "You used to love cleaning them. What happened?"

Adrianna rolled her eyes. "Reality hit."

"Reality hit you? Of all people?" he raised an eyebrow to her. "You've got to be the only one in here with a way out of here. Why haven't you taken it yet?"

A way out? Adrianna wished she had a way out of here. But as a student putting herself through college, she didn't have the option of leaving. She was curious to know what Alex had meant by that. "Alright. Enlighten me. What's my way out?" she replied, glancing at him over her shoulder.

Alex adjusted his glasses and cleared his throat. "Aren't you seeing Tom Felton? Haven't you been seeing him for several months now?"

Adrianna was not quite sure where he was going with this. "I've been seeing him a little over four months now. Why do you ask?"

"There you go. Get hitched and then you don't have to worry about working another day in your life," Alex went on.

Adrianna felt her eyes roll again. This time she dropped the sponge in the tank, nearly hitting several fish in the process. She turned to face her friend, taking a few steps down the ladder. "I'm not going to freeload off my boyfriend. You of all people should know that I'm not like that." Then she remembered what he had said. "Besides, I'm not rushing into getting, as you say, hitched. And I'm sure Tom's not either."

"I didn't necessarily mean now, dork," Alex corrected himself, leaning against a nearby shelf. "I mean that he is your ticket out of here if you manage to keep him around."

"I plan on keeping him, thank you very much," Adrianna interrupted. "And why do you say that? I'm not going to use him as a meal ticket."