Chapter 17: Time Well Spent

Hello my lovely adoring fans. =) Sorry about the delay in posting. Had a pretty busy week. Had a family reunion, a doctor's appointment, and what not to attend to. But now that this is done, I can focus back on my writing. =) This is where this story starts getting pretty intense. It's about to go all downhill from here. At least for a little while. Anyhow, I hope you all enjoy! =D

********************************************************************************************************

Adrianna sat at the dining room table at Tom's house. She had stayed the previous night there with Timber. It had almost been two weeks since she had last seen Tom in person, and she honestly couldn't wait for him to get home. Currently, she was on her laptop, Skyping him. It was early evening in London, meaning it was morning still in California where Tom was staying. This was the same thing they had done every day since he had left.

"So the weather is nice there again?" Adrianna inquired, watching the screen with him smiling back at her.

"Oh of course," Tom answered her. "It's going to be pretty warm today. What about there?"

Adrianna shrugged. "It's alright; it rained a bit earlier so it's just kind of been a chill day. But I think Timber wants to get outside now that it's sunny. She's been lying at my feet all day."

Tom smiled, although there was a hint of sadness in it. "Of course she does. She loves being outside."

"Oh I know," Adrianna laughed. "They say pets take after their owners, and if that's true, you couldn't deny her if you wanted to. She's had me out every day since you left!"

"I believe that," he agreed. "She's crazy like that." Adrianna smiled in response, causing him to continue. "So... I'll be home in two days."

"I know! I can't wait to see you," Adrianna said. "I've been losing my mind around here."

"Your friends driving you crazy with Rupert and Matt?" Tom knew exactly where she was going with it.

"I wouldn't say that, but yea!" Adrianna answered. "They have been over almost every day since you left, and I'm beginning to wonder if they have houses to even go to."

"Oh they do," Tom assured her, laughing. "But they probably just don't feel like cooking food. Both of them are rather lazy when it comes to cooking for themselves."

"Something man," Adrianna sighed. "I've been here a lot, but I think you already knew that. Promise I didn't destroy anything, or eat all your food... but I have been wearing your clothes."

"I figured you would be," Tom said. "And I thought that shirt you're wearing looked familiar. Don't be shy now; I did make sure there was food in the house before I left for you."

"I know, but still. I've never been really comfortable eating whatever I want in a house that isn't mine," Adrianna said. She glanced at the clock on the bottom of the screen. "Well hun, is it about time for you to head off for work?"

Tom glanced over at the clock as well, frowning when he realized it. "Oh jeez... yea. I guess it is, huh? So I'll try to call later, if you're still awake, that is."

"Of course, I'll try to be awake," Adrianna said with a small smile.

"Well, if not, I'll definitely talk to you tomorrow," Tom promised. "Have a good night, Dree."

"And you too, sweetie," Adrianna answered. "Knock 'em dead."

Tom winked. "Always do. I love you so much, and I'll see you soon."

"Love you too, Tom," she replied. "Talk to you in a bit."

With that, the chat closed and Adrianna shut her laptop, honestly a little sad that he had already had to go. She tried to shake the thought. He would be home soon enough, and she was sure Tom was going to make it up to her someway, somehow. The girl glanced down to see Timber looking up at her with a tennis ball in her mouth. Adrianna couldn't resist the face staring at her. "Alright girl; we'll go outside."

She stood up and walked towards the sliding glass door, Timber following her close behind. When they finally got outside, Adrianna took the ball from her and tossed it far into the yard. Timber chased after the ball, catching it before bringing it back to her. Just playing catch with her made Adrianna miss her dogs from Detroit. As much as she had always thought of herself as a cat person, she couldn't deny that she loved dogs too. She had had three dogs since she was young; two of those dogs still remained with her parents. She decided right then and there that she had to make a trip back before too long to see them. Perhaps for the Fourth of July weekend, she thought. Or maybe even in time for the Grand Marais trip.

She tossed Timber the ball for what seemed like hours. If there was one thing Adrianna had learned about her newest furry friend it was that she had a huge amount of energy. Not that she minded; just meant Timber would actually sleep tonight and hopefully not hog half of her bed. As much as she loved her boyfriend's dog, she was not thrilled about being pushed off her own bed.

As seven o'clock rolled around, Adrianna decided to lock up and head back home, Timber happily sticking her head out the car window the whole way. Upon arriving, Adrianna noticed that her friends (and the guys) were still at the apartment. She and Timber were greeted at the door by laughter, and a trashed living room. They had the Xbox out, all four of them were on the couch pushing buttons and shoving their faces full of junk food. Just the sight alone made Adrianna shake her head as she unclasped Timber from her leash.

"Oh, look who made it home!" Valarie shouted.

Adrianna rolled her eyes. "Don't act like I've been gone for weeks. Some surprise party we got going on here."

"You know you missed us," Rupert added, swinging around like he was dodging actual bullets as opposed to virtual ones.

"Totally," Adrianna sighed, slipping down into the armchair. She rarely ever sat there, and now that she was the fifth wheel, she felt appropriate sitting there. She was alone, and so was the chair. Ah well, she thought. At least I'm not crammed on the couch.

"So what did you do today?" Marisa inquired.

Adrianna was unsure of what to say to that; she had been doing the same thing for almost two weeks now. Certainly Marisa was tired of hearing the same story over and over again. "I Skyped Tom until he went to work, and then I played fetch with Timber. You know... same shizz, different day."

"He comes back soon, right?" Val wondered out loud, leaning over on Matt.

"Yea... in a few days," Adrianna said quietly. She silently wished he had been home right then and there, but her face couldn't have been more revealing. Her friends all knew how she felt then.

"These last few days will fly by, Dree," Matt assured. "Don't worry. Tom will be back here before you know it."

The girl didn't say anything as she pulled her phone from her pocket. She had remembered she had received a text on the way home that she hadn't checked yet. She read the message quickly, not bothering to see who it was from.

Hey Adrianna. Are you still awake? We need to talk.

At first, Adrianna went to reply to the message as if it was from Tom, a bit baffled as to why he would think she was sleeping before eight at night. Surely he would know the time zone difference, and realize she was still awake. And why did they need to talk?

But then Adrianna realized who the message had been from: Matthias.