Chapter 25: The Pains of Camping

Hi guys! Sorry this took so long, but as you know... camping this year was terrible for me. And since I was planning on basing a lot of what happens in the fictional trip off of my real trip, I have absolutely nothing to go on. So, please be patient with me as I sort out some of the bugs with this story. *Sigh* I do have some things planned, so don't worry. I've got this! Especially since I have Krystie and Marisa helping me. =)

Anyhow... here it is! =D

**********************************************************************************************************

Adrianna had always hated the first day at camp. All that they really did was set up the site, a process that she was sure took way longer than necessary. And this year it was even worse; they had to set up three tents on the two different sites she and her friends were sharing. Originally the plan had been to have all of them on the same site and in two tents, but they realized how crowded that would've been, so they ended up buying a new tent the night before. Adrianna was grateful, however, that they had managed to find sites far away from her parents and brother; they were on opposite sides of the campground. Adrianna could only assume that this week was going to be a crazy one, especially with her friends all camping in such close proximity to each other.

The girl sat at the picnic table at site seventy-seven, glancing around the site as she caught her breath. They had accomplished a lot in the short time they had been there. All of the tents had been set up and everything inside them as well. Adrianna was sharing her site with Tom, Marisa, and Rupert; their site had the two tents, each couple opting for their own. That pushed Valarie, Matt, Sam, and Ed into the much larger tent on site seventy-six. Now that everything was set up and ready to go, it was time to relax.

Her thoughts were interrupted when she noticed Tom sit down next to her. He took a deep breath before speaking. "Well, we're finally all set up. Now what?"

Adrianna rested her head against his shoulder. "No idea," she said quietly. "I know we still have to go get some ice for the coolers and some firewood so we can have a fire."

"Well, why don't we round everyone up and figure out who wants to do what?" Tom suggested. "That way we can get everything done more efficiently."

"Good idea," Adrianna said. She glanced around, trying to place where the rest of her friends were. "Hey guys! Come here!" The remaining six of her friends were surrounding her in moments, wondering why they had been called over. "Alright, so we have to get ice and wood. Who wants to do what?"

"Well, Ed and I can go get wood," Sam volunteered. Ed gave her a disappointed look, but said nothing. "So that leaves the rest of you to go get ice or sit around here. Whatever you want to do."

"Sounds good," Adrianna muttered, standing and stretching. She took a few steps away from the table, before turning to look at her friends. "Who wants to come with me?" Before she got too far away from the site, she felt an arm wrap around her shoulders, and the girl didn't have to look to know it was Tom.

"Wait up!" she heard Val and Marisa chorus, and within moments, both they and Rupert and Matt had caught up to them.

The group began walking along the road heading back into town. It wasn't a terribly long walk, and Adrianna and Val were very used to the trek they had made only hundreds of times in their lives. Bayshore Market was the only gas station in the small town of Grand Marais, and it was probably the girls' favorite place to go in town other than the Fishnet House.

"So how much ice do you think we'll need?" Matt broke the silence.

Adrianna shrugged. "A few bags should do the trick."

"I can't believe we're already here!" Marisa exclaimed, totally changing the topic. "I can't wait to see all the animals and stuff! We get moose up here right?"

"Yes ma'am!" Adrianna answered her friend. "Haven't seen any since I was young, but yes. There are definitely moose, bears, and deer up here."

"Bears?" Rupert asked, with what sounded like a bit of worry in his voice.

Adrianna nodded. "Oh yea. One broke into the diner when we were in middle school. They just wanted some bread. But don't worry! They don't come around here too much since the dump got closed down."

Before anyone else could inquire about the bears, they reached the gas station and all of them went inside. Adrianna immediately went over to the cooler in the back of the store and snatched a Fufu Berry Jones Soda from it before she started scouting the area for anything else they might need.

Her friends had dispersed around the store, the only one who remained close to her was Tom. "Anything you want sweetie?" she asked him. "Anything at all?"

"Oh you don't have to get me anything," he said quietly. "I can get my own things."

Adrianna glanced up at him, giving him a serious look. "Tom, you get me stuff all the time. The least I can do is get you something to drink. You've worked hard today; you deserve it."

Tom sighed, a smile on his face, "Okay, okay. If you insist, dear." He reached into the cooler and grabbed a bottle of Pepsi. He went to say something else but was interrupted by Valarie causing a scene only a few aisles away from them.

"Hey Dree! Do you need some extra, extra large condoms?!" she screamed, waving a box around in the air.

Adrianna immediately felt her face go red. Her friend always knew how to embarrass her. Valarie knew how Adrianna felt about that kind of thing, but yet Val never ceased to make fun of her friend at any chance she got. That must be what happened after you've been friends for nearly twenty years.

"No Val. I don't," she eventually answered after a few moments of silence.

"Are you sure you don't?" the blonde went on.

"I'm positive," Adrianna said before burying her face in Tom's chest. There was no doubt about it, this was embarrassing. All of her friends were laughing, and the older gentleman at the register just looked confused.

As soon as her friend moved out of the way, Adrianna pulled her and Tom towards the cash register so they could get out of there before anything else was said. She set their drinks on the counter before adding, "And could we get three bags of ice with that too?"

The man nodded, adding it to their total. Adrianna quickly paid him before she and Tom went back outside to the ice cooler where they began grabbing their bags of ice. Upon completing that task, the couple sat down on the bench sitting outside the building, waiting for their friends to make their purchases.

"Only your friends," Tom tried to make light over what Valarie shouted to the whole world.

"Tell me about it!" Adrianna sighed. "That was just ridiculous. Why would I need that?"

"Oh I know, I know," he laughed. "But it will be okay. I promise! This vacation will be amazing."

Adrianna smiled. That was true. She just had to roll with it. Everything was going to be perfect on this trip. There was no way, no how that this vacation was going to be terrible. After all, she was sitting in paradise with the man of her dreams. How could that possibly go wrong?