Chapter 26: Wave Jumping

Sorry for the delay guys. =/ I've been lacking the inspiration for their trip, but I think I broke that when I wrote this. =) Based on a very true story. >.< lol Anyhow, enjoy! =D

************************************************************************************************************

Adrianna led the pack of her friends down the staircase to the sandy beach of Lake Superior. They all had decided that this was the perfect day to go swimming on the one day the waves were all taller than they were. A storm front was pulling through, and if there was one thing Adrianna was positive of, it was that was the best time to go swimming in the normally very cold lake. The storms always kicked up the waves to massive proportions, often making one believe they were on an ocean as opposed to a lake, plus it warmed the water up significantly, though the heat wave was doing a good job of that on its own.

Adrianna was the first one to stop at the edge of the lake, dropping her towel to her side as she felt the cool breeze coming off the lake whip through her hair. Oh how she missed that feeling. As Rupert and Matt charged into the lake, she slipped out of her jean shorts before dipping her feet in the lake. Both Val and Marisa ran past her, both getting swept up by a giant wave. She couldn't help but laugh at them and their stupidity; Val knew just as well as she did that Lake Superior could be brutal.

Adrianna was timing her entrance to the lake when she felt arms wrap around her waist. She glanced up through the lens of her sunglasses to see Tom, not that she should've expected someone else. "Aren't you getting in?" he asked her.

"I could ask you the same thing," she retorted.

"Of course I am," Tom answered. "But I'm taking you with me."

Adrianna took his hand in hers. "Believe me when I say that we'll be better off this way." She watched as once again her friends were being swept further down the beach. "These waves can easily pick us up, so... proceed with caution."

Adrianna and Tom both started to move carefully into the lake, growing ever closer to the wild laughter of their friends, who were once again being swept off by the crashing waves. Adrianna expertly maneuvered herself and Tom through the ever growing waves and rocky surface of under them. She finally stopped them when the water was about halfway up her chest. She stared out at the lake, carefully timing her next move as the next wave began heading towards them. At the last possible moment, she jumped, pulling Tom up with her. They scaled the wave without a problem, something that Tom was finding hard to believe.

"Did we seriously just jump that wave?" he asked.

"Yea!" Adrianna screamed back, just to make sure she was heard over the crashing waves and their friends' wild laughter. She turned her head momentarily to see how the rest of them were holding up. Sure enough, Valarie was being drug along the lake bottom by the same wave they had jumped, and Rupert was resurfacing after being overcome by water. Adrianna shook her head and brought her attention back to the lake, but it was too late.

Before the girl could realize what was going on, she was under the water, being pushed back to shore by the powerful force of the wave. She had lost hold of Tom's hand, and she was positive that he had been swept up by it as well. The girl slowly began to panic as she stayed under water ever longer. The seconds passed like minutes, and she felt the rocks and sand scrape against her arms and legs. She felt herself come to a rest on the shore, feeling something heavy come to a rest across her abdomen. Adrianna opened her eyes to see Tom pulling himself off of her. He pulled her up, still smiling through water drenched hair. It was all too obvious that he was far more worried about her well-being than his own.

"You alright, Dree?" Tom inquired, pushing his hair from his face.

"I'm fine," Adrianna assured, coughing up some water. "You?"

Tom nodded. "Never better! You weren't kidding; this is a lot of fun!"

"Have I ever lied to you?"Adrianna gave him a serious look, though she had a smile on her face as well. "Now shall we get back in this?"

"You know it!" Tom answered enthusiastically.

The two of them ran back into the water, right up to where the rest of the group was attempting to hold their own against Superior's fury. Once they were finally clear of the waves for a moment, the friends all exchanged glances. It was obvious they were all having a great time, even if they were frequently being drug by the lake.

This carried on for a few more hours; they kept jumping the waves, and of course occasionally missing, allowing themselves to be pushed back to shore. After about the twelfth time she landed on the shore, Adrianna decided to stay there. The girl was cold, and admittedly a bit tired from all the swimming. She walked back to where she dropped her towel, and spread it out on the rocky beach. She laid down, watching everyone else still struggling to keep their balance in the unsettled waters.

A small smile appeared on her face. She was honestly a bit afraid to bring her friends on this trip. The only one who had ever been here with her was Val, so Adrianna was worried that none of them would like it as much as she did. So far she had been proven wrong. It was only day two, and she was sure that everyone was having a great time. Their laughter and huge smiles proved that to her. Adrianna was glad she had brought the idea up to Tom. This was the most fun she had had up here in a long time, if not ever.

The girl's thoughts were interrupted when Tom flopped down on the towel next to her. "Hey! I was dry already!" she protested as she tried her best to move away from her boyfriend.

"You weren't that dry," he teased her before grabbing his own towel. He draped it over his shoulders before he leaned down to kiss Adrianna on the top of her head. "Besides, you know I love you."

"I love you too," she answered him, watching the remaining four of her friends slowly making their way out of the water. Good timing, she thought. Sam and Ed should be done cooking dinner by now.

"Wooooo!" Marisa exclaimed, throwing her hands up in the air. "That was totally wicked! Let's go again!"

Adrianna rolled her eyes at her friend as she sat back up. "If they get big like this again, we will." Before she could say anything else, she was interrupted by Valarie.

"What the hell happened to your legs Dree?" she asked.

Adrianna looked down at her legs for the first time since she had been out of the water. She had dozens of little cuts and bruises covering her legs. Nothing really bad, but it was still enough to make her a tad concerned. "I'm going to guess the rocks tore me up when I got dragged," she shrugged. "I'll live. I've had far worse injuries."

"Not that your bleeding legs aren't important, but I'm starving and I'm really hoping Sam and Ed got dinner ready to eat," Rupert interrupted, a hand resting on his stomach and the other on Marisa's shoulder.

Adrianna sighed, pulling herself, her towel, and her shorts off the beach. "Men... I swear all you guys think about is food."

"Not always," Matt said quietly. Val always swore Matt was loud and crazy like she was, but Adrianna had yet to see it. Matt was always the composed and calmed one in the group, so Adrianna was still waiting for the day that he dropped the charade.

"Yea! Sometimes we think about other things too!" Rupert protested. "Like sports, and video games, and women!"

Adrianna didn't say anything as she heard the fury of protesting coming from Marisa and Valarie. The two girls and their boyfriends began a long conversation about what they actually thought about. After a quick glance at Tom, the two of them began walking back towards the campsites. They had only taken a few steps before the remainder of the group began following them, still bickering amongst themselves as they went.

It was moments like that that Adrianna was glad she and Tom weren't like that. Surely they weren't without disagreements, but they usually talked about them logically. So far, neither one of them had raised their voice at the other, and Adrianna was hoping it stayed that way. She shook her head. Sometimes her friends reminded her of children with the way they acted.

As they finally reached the campsites, a delicious smell hit her nose. Adrianna wasn't quite sure what her red-headed friends had made for dinner, but she was definitely ready to demolish it. The picnic tables were already set up, and the girl ran to her seat, dragging Tom by his hand with her. It was the first time in a long time Adrianna was excited about dinner.